Success at connecting two 5.1 devices to one 5.1 input

M

Marky P

It's been talked about a lot, but I took the most simplest way to connect two 5.1 devices to one set of 5.1 analogue inputs. I basically made a set of Y-adaptors (could've bought them, but I had the bits so I made them instead:)) and I connected two DVD players 5.1 analogues to the Y-adaptors and the straight into the amp. The results were absolutely fine:thumbsup:. As long as only one unit is on at a time, there is no loss in sound quality or volume. I was quite amazed:D. So all I have to do now is get a Blu-ray player (waiting for the Panny BD50) and I can connect up with my Arcam DV137 to the same inputs with no worries.
:arty:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Post some pics and exactly what you used so that folks can see it (and hopefully pick up on it during a search) and copy if it works. I would imagine a few people would be interested in such a setup.

mossym

Distinguished Member
get a set of cables with double sided plugs on one ended and no need to make anything...

mossym

Distinguished Member
it'll do the same as what the original poster said. However i don't recommend doing it either way, his way or these cables. having two sources connected together is never a good thing. it likely won't cause any problems, definitely not as long as you can 100 guarantee they will never be on together. but an engineering background i don't like connecting sources directly together, unless really neccesary.

and the cables i mentioned, on one end have a male plug on one side of the head and a female on the other. the other end of the cable usually only has a male

M

Marky P

I'm sure there are technical reasons why it shouldn't be done the way I did it, and anyone else that does the same, does so at their own risk. Anyway, until there is another reasonably priced alternative, I'll stick with my bodge.:smashin:

M

Marky P

Post some pics and exactly what you used so that folks can see it (and hopefully pick up on it during a search) and copy if it works. I would imagine a few people would be interested in such a setup.
Basically, what I used were 'single phono plug to 2 phono sockets' adaptors. They're cheap as chips off ebay. I only made my own because I had a draw full of spare wire and phono plugs/sockets that weren't doing much. Oh yes, and you need 6 of them for 5.1 and 8 for 7.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom