1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofing classical CDs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mroizouk, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im looking to buy some more classical music, but I often find myself disappointed with the quality of recording, and especially with the lack of deep bass.

Can anyone reccomend any particular cds or record labels which are well-recorded and dig deep?

thanks!

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Classical organ records may have deep bass if the organ is big enough, well recorded and there is actually some bass in the piece being played. (Not always)

Most orchestral instruments that do go deep aren't exactly used "centre stage" as solo instruments. They merely add "weight" to the "body" of the orchestra or have occasional "moments" in passing. Examples are the double basses, contra-bassoon etc.

Occasional pieces like the 1812 Overture have cannons in the mix!

Here is a fascinating website for those interested in bass instruments.

http://www.contrabass.com/pages/compendium.html

Regards
    Nime

3. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's an interesting site nimby.

Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get hold of the infamous Sound Hound organ cds?

4. AvAl

AvAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you're looking for expansive orchestration, then composers such as Igor Stravinsky and Wagner, well known for there extreme, and massive use of instrumentation may well give you what you want, though as with all Classical, it's not all guns blazing all the time, though when they do....they REALLY do :eek:
    You may want to look for Stravinsky's, Rite Of Spring. a very primevil work. He uses a great deal of percussion including classical drums of all kinds, which will give big low down 'punch'; the famous Wagner Opera, Die Walküre which takes the "Ride of the Valkyries" and uses it in 'Apocalypse now' in the Huey attack run (I think everyone knows that music, even though maybe not the music title. A whole Wagnerian Opera I feel may be too much, so try this compilation, 25 Thunderous Classics it may WELL suit! :thumbsup:
    Another great work, featuring many moods is Holst's, The Planets (Look out for Mars, The Bringer of War! ;) ) I guarantee you'll have some great movements there. A very inspiring work, and very easy to listen to.
    As for which label, I really couldn't say, but the better, more renowned the orchestra, the better interpretation. I tend to think that classical CD's are produced more for their faithful musical reproduction rather than boosting certain areas for us Bass heads ;)
    Let us know what you think of the works and their musical presence. :) And the other bonus - Classical music is so cheap! So there are some ideas for you. Without knowing your tastes, I think you'll be pleased with the above
    Have fun! :)

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As Nimby has said, classical music isn't really about bass. However, two items that are capable of blowing your house apart are Copland's Fanfare For The Common Man and Richard Strauss's Thus Spake Zarathustra (sometimes shown on record labels as Also Sprach Zarathustra). This latter piece is said to contain the loudest chord in the classical orchestral repertoire.
    There is also a Hyperion CD called British Light Music Classics. The last item, Nights of Gladness, has the most thunderous bass I've ever heard.
    A tip on recording quality: always buy full-price, recent recordings. This won't break the bank if you're not going to establish a vast collection. EMI, Hyperion and Chandos are the best labels in my experience. Suggest you avoid Deutsche Grammophon.
    Final and most important tip: play the music as loud as you (and the neighbours) can bear. The louder it is, the better it sounds!
    Forgot to add: classical music to be heard at its best requires high quality equipment. It's also better in stereo than surround.

6. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your posts- keep the suggestions/advice coming in! Its a real minefield out there trying to get well-recorded classical cds.

Bernard- just listened to a sound clip of Nights of Gladness- its hilarious! Dead quiet, all stings and flutes at the start, and then BOOM! That new london orchestra are quite serious with their bass drum, it seems.
    I agree with you on 2-channel music playback being best.