Subwoofers

G

Gullanian

I'm about to go to PJ hifi to demo a system around the £5k mark, just for music. Amp, speaker pair and cd player. What I want to know is can subwoofers be bought for hi fis, or is this unusual and usually only done with home cinema? Would I look like a doofus if I asked?

Subs are available for music, though audiophiles may not be too keen on them. I think the purists would say no but with that sort of money to spend your the boss. You want a sub, they'll get you one!

You won't be laughed at if you ask but don't feel you have to have one to get the 'right' sound as people do for movies. I've got a very expensive sub but never use it for music as I think the sound is fantastic without it.

If you were looking to get very small main speakers then it may be worth considering but if not I'd just up the budget for the main speakers instead if I were you.

Much depends on what kind of music you like as in general music doesn't have the same depths of bass as action films but invariably the same rules apply as in home cinema and if you listen to music with lots of deep bass, invariably a good sub can handle it better than the speakers.

You may need to audition a sub more carefully for a music application as many of the big bang beasties that sound so good when buildings are blowing up will be caught out when trying to replay a series of fast music notes accurately.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom