1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofers (yes again, sorry!!)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by asdm12002, Mar 22, 2003.

1. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, M72 package bought, Marantz SR5300 on it's way, cable is sorted BUT

can't make up my mind re sub. Looking for something say up to £300 ish and have come across REL, MJ Acoustics, Paradigm, Velodyne or Yamaha. My room is 17x12 and I 'm fairly safe on not annoying the neighbours!

I'm looking for a sub that will suit both movies and muzak but also looks reasonable (not with a big V on the front!) as it will be difficult to hide it away in our room. Size is not important ( or so the ladies tell us but well in reality......) so any advices you can give are gratefully received.

Oh yes , what are the merits/pitfalls of buying off say e bay and what difference is there between down and front firers?

Thanks

Andrew

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used Rel ST's often come up in the classifieds at around your price point and providing they are in good nick offer great value. Q100's have also been a long time fave of mine and also make appearances on the classifieds from time to time.

Biased maybe, but if it's a brand new sub you are after, with warranty, in my humble opinion there is nothing to touch the plain black CHT-10. Simply awsome value for £325.

3. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Eric, you seem to be the authority on the sub subject. What difference would I hear between a VX10 and a CHT10? What do you get extra for your money on the CHT10? I may be interested in one of your power buys but feel more comfortable spending £200 rather than £325. I mainly use it for films but would like some xtra low end for music as well. May I ask where you are based and is it possible to come and have a listen? Finally do they come with a lead or is that extra and if so what would you recommend?

Thanks again

Andrew

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I agree with Eric regarding the Q100. I used to have one, and they are much better than the recent Q range from REL and the MJA Pro 50. There was one going for sale on the HCCO classifieds section for £50 :eek:

Velodyne subs have been covered comprehensively on this forum, for good reason (they make superb products). Try a search on the VX10 and CHT10 subs and see what others think on this subject.

If you have ~£200 to spend as a maximum, then I think the well regarded Paradigm PS1000 is your best bet. It has it's down sides (boomy if used with a 80Hz+ crossover, and quite large for a 10" sub) but overall it is still a very appealing sub for the money. If you have a bit more money to spend, then best value sub that I have found is, unsurprisingly, the one I have: the Paradigm PW2200. For a little bit more (£350) this offers shockingly good performance, and a huge leap over the PS1000.

Russell