Subwoofer's vibrations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by madman1887, Sep 9, 2012.

1. madman1887

madman1887

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello, in my bedroom I have a speaker system consisting of an Onkyo TX-SR605 reciever, Creative GigaWorks S750 satellite speakers and i have a custom monoblock amplifier running a Sony bass reflex subwoofer, from a HT-SF1300 speaker system.

My problem is that when i turn the speakers up, the sub is vibrating the floor more than it should. I can't hear the bass as much as i'd like to, so i turn it up, and the sub just starts vibrating the floor excessively. Is there anything i can do to make the sub make more 'sound' than vibrations? I want to be able to feel the bass and hear it, rather than feel the floor shaking.

I hope you guys can understand what I mean, this problem is not related to the frequency of sound being too low or anything like that.

Thanks for any responses.

2. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Have you tried moving the sub into different positions in your room?
    Subs in small rooms suffer from dead zones where there is no apparent sound but the speaker flapps around like crazy. You need to find the 'sweet-spot' in your room.
    Or is could just be that the sub is no good :rolleyes:

3. madman1887

madman1887

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the reply. yeah, I've tried moving it around, and i have it under my desk, which seems to be the optimum position for it's sound. If i stick it in a corner, it vibrates my whole house and everything is just rattling. My room is pretty small, estimating 3.5m by 6.5m and 3m high. It has dead spots, pretty obviously corners are the best place for the bass but my desk isn't as dead as a point just off-center of the room.

The issue is not the sub itself, since i had the same problem with quite a few subs.

4. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Tricky, one tried and tested idea/solution is to get a concrete slab or something similarly heavy, place it on the floor beneath the sub, if that doesn't do enough get another and place it (as a weight) on top of the sub.

5. Amioa

Amioa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    have you tried putting the sub on something solid, like a slab or marble slab?

6. madman1887

madman1887

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, yeah I tried the weights, putting weight on the top of it and a slab underneath only made the floor vibrate more.
    At the moment my desk has a little shelf which is supposed to be for a desktop PC which does not make contact to the ground other than through the desk's frame which sits on 4 legs, so the sub is not on the ground. I find this is giving the best sound rather than vibrations, but still it's pretty bad. thanks for the suggestions though

7. abone

abone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You need to make an isolation platform. Take a trip to B&Q get a concrete slab and a length of 15 by 25 foam pipe lagging a carpet tile and some spray glue. Cut the pipe lagging to the same size as the slab then cut down it length ways opposite the original cut, do this with all pieces until you have 4 lengths then stick them to the underside of the slab curved part to the bottom,then trim the carpet tile to size stick that on the top and the extra around the sides
    Job done. :)