1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Subwoofers] MJ Pro 50 or CHT 10?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Cheng, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

What would you guys think better, the MJ Pro (£300) or the CHT 10 by Uncle Eric @ £325 ?

I'm a HC newbie and I was wondering why subs are so expensive, and can you get anything below £300-ish that sounds good?

Thanks.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    To answer your first question, I would be inclined to go towards the CHT10.

The second question about cost, well it comes down to engineering and amplfier. For good deep clean bass you need big driver, big cabinet, and a big amplifer. Plus a good design, and engineering. All this adds up to quite an expense, but i think you will find that at £325 the Velodyne has all of them, and comes from a pedigree of the likes of the HGs class.

3. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you think there are any decent-ish sub £300 subwoofers to consider?

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    Not new.

Have a look at the second hand market for the likes of Rel Q100 or Rel st range. A Q100 should set you back £200-300, or a strata or storm MK1 for £200-400.

I am of the opinion there are no good subs under £300 new, that give as good a performance of the Rel's second hand or a CHT10.

5. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't necessarily need as good as the CHT 10 or a REL, just something thats within £100-£250 that sounds good?
    (I just told my dad and he was like "We got a Yamaha sub for £100 a couple of years ago, are you crazy spending £300!?" :) )

Also,Would you guys say second hand is a valid option for subwoofers?

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    Yes it is a very good way of getting quality subwoofers for silly money, just refere to my above post regarding the rels.

Your original question "which is better" I have answered, but you have to ask yourself what it is you want? A genuine subwoofer for real bass, or a midwoofer for £99 that sounds crap and you regret buying. I'm afraid quality costs, but not that much.

The real advantage with buying a quality subwoofer is that the rest of your system will upgrade around it. You will keep it longer than any other peice of gear you buy. And a quality subwoofer when implemented properly will open up your exsisting system to perform better. Go and hear some and find out what real bass gives you.