1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofers - General Chat

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stonedragon, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I heard the 850 today and WOW WEEEEEEEEEEEEE :rotfl:

This thing is simply awesome. In the past couple of weeks I've heard the PV1, ASW750 and the DD-18, but nothing, and I mean nothing prepared me for the 850. This thing just blows everything I've heard out of the water.

I listened to this beast in London, in a room of about 10x30, with the position on the amp set to about 9'O' clock and the volume on the amp at about -10 - in other words the set up was for the 850 to take a leisurely stroll.

However the 850 had other ideas and I kid you not, the thing nearly brought the building down. :D We started with LOTR when gollum and crew are heading through the marshes and the wraith on the dragon flies past. Each flap of those wings engulfed me, my nephew and the manager of the shop in waves of bass that felt like being punched by an overgrown and p*****d off sumo wrestler. Incredible :D

Another favourite of mine is when Saron explodes and the energy field flattens everybody to the ground. Now when I've watched that scene before I know what is meant to happen in terms of bass. As the wave passes over the battelefield your'e meant to feel it. Up till now, my eyes have told me what I should be feeling, BUT today I also felt what was happening. That wave left us punch drunk and the whole building wobbled (really).

When I watched the same scenes on the DD-18 it was good, but it didn't leave me reaching for the asprins - but the 850 did. To quote the manager "I didn't know LOTR had so much bass in it" (and this is from a man that stocks and plays the 750, infact he had one in the corner of the room)

Moving on to music was a real revelation as well. I've never known a sub to shake a building so much. We played all sorts R&B, Classical a bit of Jazz and organ music. It was so good, we had other customers coming in for a listen!!!

I could write tons more, but to suffice to say I have found the HOLY GRAIL of subs. No wonder Hi-Fi news said it caused a sense of unease amongst it listeners. When this thing gets going it dosen't just cause your trousers to flap it moves the whole dammed sofa!!! :eek:

In conclusion, all I can say this thing would satisfy the most demanding bass-holic and would stop any desire to upgrade dead in its track. And thats what I want. No more wishing, longing, desiring. Nirvana has arrived. Go find it at your nearest B&W dealer.

2. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Stonedragon,out of interest,what was the rest of the kit that you heard in that dem?

Regards Dan

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    The 850 is awesome, I really liked it. But better than the DD-18? Not in the same league for extension imho....

4. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I heard RAGS as850 and it is very good, I have also heard the SVS with 2 cones (help forget the model) and it is the biggest, ugliest sub.
    BUT they are close. Never heard velodyne dd18 but would have thought it should be better at 3 times the cost.

Must be pc ultra :D

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    No you havent mate ! You heard my ASW750.

The ASW850 is a recent addition and is the older, bigger and more handsome member of the family. Pop round again when your out an about and have a listen.

Having heard a DD18 I would expect it DD18 to go lower than an ASW850 due to its larger driver but for me that isnt the whole story. The ASW850 goes low enough but yet still manages to produce a detailed and extremely punchy bass which I prefer. If Stonedragon preferred the sound of the ASW850 over a DD18 then I can only nod my head in agreement.

I would really love to do a direct comparison in the same room with a DD15 which although cost a full £1000 more is a similar model in terms of driver size. Either way the ASW850 is a corker and is the best sub I have ever heard (I think I have said that before on another thread !).

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    I think the results of that would be interesting:)

7. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    ...and the 850 utterly floors the 750; similar in character but drops that much lower :thumbsup:

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Pretty much how I would describe it !

9. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Whoops, now i got both models wrong :confused:
    Anyway when are you going to change your user name to riches :D
    Still i thought the 750 was better than my servo15.

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes should be interesting to see if they have it on dem i will be along on sunday so i will be sure to have a good listen.

John :)

11. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Come on REL studio owners - lets hear from you ! - I havnt heard the B & W but i have a studio 3 ! Cant believe the B & W would come close - how much is the B& W now anyway? - £2k ?

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Given we both live in Hertfordshire how about we listen to each others subs ?
    You are welcome over first. I would love to compare the £2k B&W to a £4.5k REL. Shouldnt be a contest.

13. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I didnt say i had the REL, i said i had heard it ! - I have the KEFAV1 which in its day was awesome although maybe the B & W is now superior??

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Dont know as I have never heard an AV1. Either way your welcome to come over.

15. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I agree ;) the DD15 in maple was a better match to my living space and on the whole nicer than the 850.

I would love to test the DD15 next to the 850, I think it would be close.

16. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I would love to put the PC Ultra into that mix too, ok, doesn't look as nice, but should be a good tester for the big bin :) Even though a PB12 Ultra/2 would be a better match against the B&W and DD15 :)

17. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Thats right guys - go out and buy one - then feel the happiness :D

18. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I find it hard to beleive that an ASW850 would be better than a DD18, and Ican't help thinking that maybe, a) the DD18 you are comparing to was either not set up properly, or b) the ASW850 was setup very hot.
    However, I do like B&W subs and I always keep an open mind. If the B&W can beat a sub over £1000 more expensive, thats great!

Rags, if you fancy dragging your 850 down the M3 you are more than welcome to come and try it side by side with my DD15. :)

19. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

Yeah,come on Stonedragon,it`s more than just a sub that constitutes a great sound! :)

Regards Dan

20. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    I think these 2 would be very close indeed....

I'd happily buy a B+W 850 if I had the funds (or the room for it), as everyone who's seen and heard them will testify, they really are like a piece of furniture:) What I'd REALLY like to hear in comparison is the PB-12 Ultra...I doubt there'd be anything in it except extra extension on the Ultra.

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Barrie - After returning from holiday with my two boys I honestly feel old and knackered (4 days trudging around Disneyland does that to you!). Maybe after a few weeks I will stump up the energy. However in the interim I would love to hear your DD15 if that is acceptable and of course you are welcome to come round mine for a demo as well (and bring your DD15 if you like).

22. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would love to come over some time and hear your setup. It's a case of having the time and motivating myself to make the 1.5 to 2 hour trip. I have never attempted to move the DD15 other than getting out the box and putting it into position after it's delivery, and I must admit that the thought of tryting to lift and carry it to my car quite daunting, probably a 2 man job.
    However, nothings impossible and I will also bare your offer in mind. :)

23. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Also why cant you guys believe that it can sound better than a DD18 ? After all theres more to subs that how low they can go. It all boils down to personal preference and for me if I felt the DD18 was better I would have bought one. However I have only had a single demo of the DD18 so I am not exactly an authority on it.

The posters on this thread have a range of subs which are all good. Barrie and Samhain obviously preferred the DD15's they now own (actually I think Barrie didnt demo the ASW850 but Samhain did but still preferred the DD15 on balance). Recruit preferred his MX350 over the DD series but hasnt yet heard an ASW850. All it goes to prove is that there is no right answer to this question. I do know however (and again this is just my opinion) that the PC Ultra although stupendous for a £1k subwoofer is not a match for either the DD series or the ASW850 (in performance and looks). The PB2 Ultra would be the right comparison to make but I have not been fortunate enough to have heard one.

Also re the comments on the ASW850 being setup hot thats merely speculation. I wouldnt be so sure.

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    As we speak there is a DD15 for sale in the classified for anyone interested.

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags i think you are absolutely right in what you say, what 1 person might perceive and hear is somewhat different to another and also the system setup does make alot of difference aswell and also the room the AV Equipment is being played in, Personally the MX350 is the best sub i have had experience of and have tried a few bar the exception of the ASW850 which i hope i will get to hear eventually.

John

26. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    Ultimately, I think there's one thing we should all remember: at this calibre of subwoofer, hell they're ALL good:)

27. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Actually the DD18 costs £1500 over the ASW850. Its the DD15 that only costs £1000 more.

28. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Agreed!!!! :smashin: I honestly do not think we AV addicts have ever had it so good, it's a wonderful beautiful thing :D

29. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I can honestly say that I, at some time in the future would love to own all the following, though not neccessarily at the same time, pb2 ultra, asw850 and the dd18.
    All great subs, some better lookers than others, but all capable of great bass.
    I just need to inherit, (unlikely) win lotto (even more unlikely).
    To you lot with these subs already, I'm jealous!

30. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    In terms of looks I don't think anyone could dispute that. In performance? Bit of a generalisation there :)

So much comes down to listening levels and rooms: at reference level in a bigger room, the ASW850 will comfortably crush the PC-Ultra, but in small rooms I think there's very little in it at all (and even in his small room, I think Jeff prefers his PC-Ultra to the DD-12, with the caveat - from memory - that doesn't use any EQ on either subs. Of course, we're talking the 12 here, not the 15 or 18).

That said, I'd happily swap my PCU for your ASW850 though Rags :D