1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofers at low SPLs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Wild Rumpus, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it worth having a subwoofer if most of the time I have the volume pretty low? :( With an 18 month old sprog in the house (and usually asleep when we are watching films) I can't really let rip the way I would like to. I have Linn Ninkas (F), AV5120(C) and Uniks(R) as speakers, so I'm not exactly using as bass-shy system.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It absolutely is. At low volumes your main speakers won't be producing the lower frequency notes at an audible level whilst the subwoofer will quite happily fill in the gaps. IMO opinion it's one of the best things about having a sub (or 2 in fact) as I often listen at low levels. :)

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    A subwoofer is even more important at low volume levels.
    It adds excitement and interest to music in particular when listening quietly in the late evening. The human ear rolls off rapidly in the bass so a bit more oomph really works at low levels.

I have heard a number of times from those with infants that playing music loud and bassy teaches them to sleep through anything instead of the opposite. Where you end up creeping round your own house to avoid waking the little wotsits.

Experience will soon tell you whether your sprog is the type who can adapt and accept an infernal racket or not. Though I would recommend that you try the volume test when they are wide awake and turn up the volume slowly to see whether they react to loud noises. Kids are so different that one can't be certain whether they will laugh of cry.

Nimby

4. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info folks, the sprog doesn't seem too bothered by loud films when he is awake, he's quite happy to play in the room when the initial battle scene from Master and Commander is on at fairly high volume. The main problem with playing it too loud when he is asleep is that we can't hear him if he wakes up!
    Looks like a subwoofer is on the shopping list, then, any suggestions?

5. Basshead

Basshead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting debate...I can only comment on my own experiences. I have a two year old and a t-minus 8 weeks bump, and a Sony SA-WX900 sub which is an absolute monster.

Low volumes are great with subs - it's like the speaker equivalent of a 'Loudness' control - and I wouldn't have thought that it was any more distracting than the other LF stuff that the little 'un will hear (cars passing, your fridge freezer pump, footfall on floorboards, and the low frequencies in your voice). They first experience LF in the womb, as someone pointed out (as it passes through the surrounding tissue easier than HF).

The only time the little un has ever noticed the sub has been when it's on and playing the sound of thunder (he's not too keen).

Go on...treat yourself......if you get a large enough sub you can probably even use it as a changing table.... ;)

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Pure genius! :smashin:

The perfect excuse for getting a bigger sub. :D

Hang on though. It's a bit late for some of us. :blush:

Nimby

7. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

As great as a sub is at LF loud and getting the adrenalin going, I do enjoy the different type of experience that low volumes with sub frequencies can give you. Play the Toy Story bit where they arrive at the petrol station to fill up and Buzz is missing, but then comes in through the sunroof with a bug splatted to his visor/helmet, after he lands on the back seat the camera flicks to him and there is a single piano note played (lower octaves, could be a culmination of a couple of keys or a single key, I'm not a piano player!!!) Play this at a relaxing low volume without sub then with sub, and you can then see that you would miss that lovely grand piano warmth and depth. carry on watching and listen to the lorry drive over you, again the depth is superbly realistic.

enjoy