1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofers and high level/stereo output?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Malky1903, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Can anyone tell me what the benefits are if I was hook up my subwoofer to the high level/stereo outputs instead of low level/mono?

Will I notice any difference while watching movies or is this more beneficial for listening to music as per bi-wiring?

Would I be right in saying that bi-wiring is more for music than movies?

Is it possible to bi-wire the fronts and connect the subwoofer to the stereo connections or is it just either or?

If I do connect it this way, will I then have to remove my phono to phono cable?

Will my amp still know there's a sub?

I fancy trying to connect it up this way but I would rather know if it's worth it before I go to the hassle of reaching around the back of my amp and hooking/unhooking speaker cable.

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't hook up the high level inputs instead of the low level inputs as you will lose the LFE from DVDs but on subwoofers that can take a simultaneous high and low level input it can sometimes be worth connecting both if you play CD's via an analogue output using direct mode on the amp if that only works on speakers and not the sub.

On mine, CDs sound better via the digital connection and the direct mode on the amp also utilizes the subwoofer so there is no point.

3. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the advice Ian J.

That's pretty much what I thought. I was more looking for confirmation. At the end of the day, I'll be playing far more DVD's than what I will CD's.

I'll just leave it as it is.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to add a few more things:

I believe the low level connection is used mainly for AV systems why the high level connections is for amplifiers without 'subwoofer out' (i.e. most stereo amps).

I would say it's more beneficial for music and as above the low level connection is the preferred choice for movies (since you also can use the bassmanagement then).

Probably, though the issue (benefit if any) of bi-wiring is debatable itself.

It's possible.

Yes, only few subs allow to use both connections simultaeneously.

No. But you need to tell the amp there is no sub so that the LFE will be routed to the front outputs and such eventually gets to the sub.

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Given the indepth reply above, I think I'll leave my system as it is. I'm mainly watching DVD's so biwiring and high/low level connection to the sub isn't going to be of any benefit to me.

Cheers Reiner.