1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer's and Floors

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Russell_S, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all, newbie here

I am looking for a new 5.1 speaker package and am leaning towards the Kef eggs. I don't know yet whether to go for the mk1 or the mk2 model, it all depends on price. However, with the mk1, the subwoofer has a downward firing bass driver and I would have thought that the sound would be effected differently depending on wether the floor underneath was a solid floor or a suspended timber floor. If this is the case, which type of floor is it designed for. I, myself, have a timber floor, amd don't particularly want the ornamants bouncing their way across the coffee table due to the floor vibration.

Also, I know that the sub in the mk2 versoin is different, but in what way. Has this one also got the downward firing driver or is it a completely different design.

Many thanks

2. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mounted my Eltax A12 sub on a (black painted) paving slab. I have a wooden floor and there is a basement flat beneath me, my motivation was to try and prevent upsetting the neighbours. I don't really know what effect it has on the sound quality (I guess it would improve it), or even if it helps my neighbour, but it cost £2 and gives me piece of mind.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi russ
    From what ive read the old sub is a down firing ported sub,The new sub is a sealed sub and front firing and from what owners have said on the forum is much improved on the old model.
    Gonzo.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Where did you guys get your info from? You are posting this stuff on the internet but have not got the capability to even look at the Kef website.

The new Kef KHT 2005.2 package comes with a new sub that is also downward firing but is now a sealed box rather than a ported unit. This helps in making it sound tighter and more controlled but less powerful. to combat this the amplifier onboard has been upgraded from a 150 Watt unit to a 250 Watt unit. On the whole it is a huge improvement on its predecessor.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sorry:blush:
    I did get it right that it was a much better sub though.
    Gonzo.:D

6. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does a sub floor and laminate cope with a downward firing cone?
    Would I benefit from putting a square of carpet under the sub
    or should I go for a forward facing cone, need to know as I want to get it right first time.

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Don't get a sub then ;)

Seriously though, if you don't want some floor shaking bass then it sort of negates the point of buying a decent sub if all you're going to do is turn it down to the level of, say a set of stand mounted speakers. Ask any of the guys on here with some of the big subs and you'll find it's not just the floorboards that vibrate :D

Just a thought...

Chris