1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer yes or no?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by davepuma, Jun 24, 2004.

1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    Hi,

I am looking at adding a subwoofer to my AV/Hi-Fi system. It consists of a Yamaha DSP-E800 Processor/Arcam Alpha 8 amp hooked up to a pair of Tannoy Mercury M3 floorstanders (fr) and Tannoy Mercury MX1 bookshelf (rr) and MXC (cntr) speakers. I am actually happy with the sound at the moment but I think sometimes that movie soundtracks lack the 'wow' factor a subwoofer would give me. The room isn't large (15ft x 15ft approx). I am concerned that a subwoofer might overdo it as when I purchased the kit a few years ago I was advised by the salesman to utilise the front speakers for the bass. Does anyone have any comments to make on this and if anyone thinks my system could benefit from a sub, can anyone recommend one? I was looking at something like the Tannoy TS8 to keep everything Tannoy but figured I could go for something else like a REL Quake or MJ-50. I am looking at replacing the Yamaha Processor in the future but am kind of holding out as I like the Arcam for CDs. :lease:

Cheers,

Dave Duncan

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i would say you were missing quite abit of the low end in movies without a sub and a rel quake or mj would do a good job of creating the .1 in 5.1 which im sure the tannoys wouldnt do the job with. You could also set a crossover freq to let the sub take the strain off the fronts which helps alot with bass. Overall i think a sub would bring your system to life i know mine did and i had floorstanders. id so go for it. it makes the biggest difference in adding alot more dynamic sound and movies just arnt the same without the sub to take care of them low freqencies. the difference a sub makes is bigger then u might think it blew me away with movies by adding a sub (rel q150e) it added what the whole system lacked.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I agree with Phillfyspoon. I have large powerful floor standers and a sub. You can tell if you kill the sub that some major bass power is missing:eek:

I would also recommend to look at the Mordaunt Short 309 (small and the notch filter really helps) and the BK XLS200 (small and fast solid bass). £225 and £275 respectivly. :D

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The question is not "if" you need a subwoofer. :)

But how you live without one? :confused:

My Mission 753Fs don't do it for me. :blush:

Get the best subwoofer you can afford. ;)

It saves the cost of repeatedly upgrading. :nono:

And then it should be good enough for music as well. :smashin:

Nimby

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to have the Tannoy M3 floorstanders which sounded very good for films then I added a sub and realised what I had been missing.

Don't bother with the Tannoy sub as their expertise lies in making speakers not subs and look at something like the Mordaunt Short MS309 (as a bare minimum) which is available at about £225

6. spm

spm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just a quick update on prices as I've been looking into subs at the cheaper end of the market - peter tyson are doing the 309 for £216 incl del and the XLS is £287 delivered from bkelec so there is a slightly bigger difference for the budget conscious - well £20 is £20

Sean

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Get a decent sub as recommended above, you will not not regret it!

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  9. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    ..oh, and never trust the word of addicts! :laugh:

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The AE3's where set to small so the sub's had to do the work though. :lesson: I still wouldnt go without a subwoofer even with my AE3's set to large (which they are now:D )

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Say's the SVS owner :rotfl:

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I know they were set to small, but bear in mind that there's a roll-off in each direction rather than a brick-wall filter. ;)

Either way, I think that everybody should have a BK because it threatens models at more than twice the price :D

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I agree WE knew but others didnt. I was just clarifying things so everyone knew :)

14. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    I agree totally with Nimby. Once you have had a sub you will never want to watch a movie without one!
    Buy the best you can afford though. If you buy a cheapy you will only want a better one in a year or so. I bought an REL sub 7 years ago for £400 and im only needing an upgrade now.

Mark

15. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Gold Star to Nimby for the best use of smilies I've seen this week :D

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    :blush:

Nimby :D

17. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    Thanks for all the replies. I kinda knew the answer to a question asking if a sub-woofer was a good idea in a forum full of sub-woofer nuts would have been an emphatic YES!!! I will order a sub tonight, probably going for the Quake. Thanks again.

Dave

18. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    Couldn't seem to be able to order the Quake anywhere online, must be a shop only item. I ordered a MJ-50 as I thought it was much and much the same. Now having second thoughts. Had a look at that SVS site and emailed Erik back and forth. I actually measured my room and it's only 13-1/2 ft by 11ft so not sure that a sub of SVS proportions would suit. Decisions, decisions....If a SVS would fit, it will be tight and I don't think the positioning would be ideal as all the corners are already taken up with either speakers or furniture (can't throw it out, as much as I would like to!). :confused:

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,528
    I find it interesting and a bit amusing that people think a room 15x15 would be too small for a sub. My last home cinema was nearer half that size and I had 2 REL Studios in there. POW. A sub would improve the sound in a lift.

20. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You should see the sub as a functional piece of furniture. :D But, preferably it would be box-shaped then. Maybe the Onyx Rocket one, or a PB1-isd? They're cheaper than most others, and offer impressive performance for smaller (<2500 ft^3) rooms. ;)

21. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    Another issue is I live in an upstairs flat. I know my previous neighbour used to get cranky about noise but the current guy doesn't seem to mind me cranking up the volume now and again but I can't help feeling a sub might alter his opinion. Would there be any difference between downward firing subs and outward ones regarding the resonance of noise below?

22. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Fírstly let's deal with neighbour's sensitivity to noise. By being a good boy most of the time your neighbours may be more willing to tolerate higher levels of noise at other (reasonable) times.

There are two forms of noise nuisance. Airborne and conducted.

Airborne noise can be reduced for others by keeping windows and doors firmly closed when enjoying your films and music. Simply closing the door to the hall or adjoining room may allow the neighbour below to escape to the quiet of another of their own rooms. Leaving the door open may flood their entire flat with noise!

Conducted (and airborne) noise can be reduced by fitting carpets or (at least) having large rugs. Fitted carpets on felt or foam will always help to reduce noise in the flat below. Carpets greatly reduce footfall and other impact noises for those living below. Always wearing slippers indoors will much reduce noise nuisance below you too.

Your subwoofer produces both kinds of noise. The conducted noise is worse than airborne. Airborne is softer and sounds like a bass guitar from outside the pub or dance hall. Conducted is usually harsher and more irritating. Float your sub on a slab of concrete (or chipboard) on top of a sandwich of foam, carpet or felt. Or better, all three.

Never assume that your neighbours don't mind the noise of your hobby! I know how hard it is to go upstairs and tell someone completely abusive of my rights to stop! In my ignorance I was equally guilty as a young man of making a racket with my hifi. I would now gladly undo my own abuse of my neighbour's rights if I could. :blush:

My own mother had to sell her delightful ground floor flat in old age. Which she had quietly enjoyed for nearly 20 years. Simply because a new (noise) abusive neighbour moved in above her! Though music and judo falls, vaccuming bare floorboards and a constantly running washing machine at 3-4am may have been slightly unusual. She was terrified of the consequnces when I said I was going to go up to speak to the idiot! :mad:

Treat your neighbours with respect and you will be able to enjoy your music and films without a guilty conscience.

The neighbour below may be a shift worker and you could be enjoying films at reference every evening! Or they could enjoy the shopping centre all day every Saturday. But you won't know that unless you ask politely when is a reasonable time and when is an awful time for them!

Nimby

23. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    Thanks for the advice on neighbours! :thumbsup: I always close all the doors and windows when listening to music or watching a movie, if nothing else, so that I don't get disturbed myself! My last neighbour was a neurotic numpty :mad: who complained about the noise even at teatime! Basically if she heard anything and I mean anything that was it, doorbell ringing, notes through the door etc. I think she wasn't used to living in a flat. I never once considered the noise excessive but there you go. The new guy is fine and says he never hears me anyway.

I have ordered a SVS PB1-ISD :D and am just waiting on the shipping cost and a date for shipping. SVS said it would ship the day after my order so hopefully it will be here in a week or so. I decided against the cylinder models, simply for aesthetic reasons. It would have looked too obvious and as I'm a bit of a butcher when it comes to gardening, I couldn't hide it with plant. So a small(ish!) box sub was the way ahead. It's slightly bigger and more expensive that I had initially intended but what the hell. Now just the amp and speakers to upgrade!

Cheers for all the help and advice :smashin:

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Interesting change of heart in 4 days for which you will not be sorry as the SVS is streets ahead of what you were originally proposing to buy. Equally interesting is that not one person actually recommended the company or it's subwoofers to you even though many of the contributors to this thread (including myself) are happy SVS owners.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

25. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    There was a thread on here about using paving blocks etc under the sub to damped bass sounds to people in flats. I use this method and have had no complaints :D

26. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    Cheers,

I'll look into the paving slab thing. I'm sure someone will have an old one lying around. Failing that, I'll buy one. They're not expensive. Is there not a more aesthetically pleasing alternative to a lump of concrete though!? ;)

I haven't heard anything back from SVS today since I placed my order yesterday, so I've no idea how much I'm being stung for shipping. It will probably be a lot as I live in N.E. Scotland. We'll wait and see.

I went with the SVS sub to be different. I'm sure I could have got hold of a B&W, REL, MS, MJ etc anywhere and paid about the same but there seems be enough satisfied customers on this forum and the reviews all looked good. Value for money and positive reports from owners counts for a lot in my mind so SVS it is! I was a little unsure about buying something from the states, with all the customs and VAT issues but I'm sure that will be easy enough.

:thumbsup: Here's hoping it will be wired up sometime next week!

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Bax Global the shippers handle all of that for you and your sole contribution to the importing process is to hand over a cheque to them for the amount that they will ask you for when they deliver it.

28. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Im sure you can find something. I remember someone saying they used a slab of polised marble. :smashin:

29. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why not cover it with something - a piece of carpet under and over the slab would be ideal

30. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Ian J's point about svs owners not recommending a sub directly is an interesting one. I think that most of the people here who have bought svs are modest and in the same way that svs do not slag off other subs or manufacturers, neither would most of us say "sub "a" that you are looking at is a load of bollow, get an svs"
    It can be a bit daunting spending loads of money importing something that you have not heard from the States and it took me quite a while to take the plunge and then pay for the thing.
    However, the products are great value at the moment and the company is excellent to deal with so start counting the days as you are in for a treat!