Subwoofer wont work on sony multi channel av reciever str-dh590

Kine

Novice Member
I bought a Sony multi channel 5.2 str-dh590 with the intention of replacing my old reciever. My subwoofer wouldn't work and I assumed it was because it was a passive subwoofer so I bought a klipsch 12 inch powered subwoofer hooked with a 2 input to single input lfe cable. Nothing I do gets either subwoofer to work with it. Any help is greatly appreciated

dante01

Distinguished Member
Firstly, you only need one connection from one subwoofer pre out on the AV receiver to one low level RCA input on the subwoofer. The second output on the AVR is there to fascilitate the connection and use of a second sub, while the left and right inputs on the sub are only both needed if using the sub with a stereo integrated amp or stereo pre amp that doesn't have a dedocated mono subwoofer output. Connect just one RCA terminated cable from one of the subwoofer pre outs on the AV receiver to the right RCA low level input on the sub.

Have you actually set the sub as being present in the AV receiver's speaker configurations? I believe that you'd need to select the "5.1" speaker pattern in order to do this?

by default 2021-05-17 at 06.37.39.png

by default 2021-05-17 at 06.36.15.png

Have you calibrated the setup with the sub connected and the sub option turned on within the configurations? Before running the AV receiver's auto calibration, you need to do some alterations to the settings on the rear of the sub itself:
  • Set the GAIN or VOLUME on the sub to what would equate to about 10 o'clock and no higher than midway.
  • Set the dial labelled LOW PASS or FREQUENCY to its maximum 120Hz setting
  • Set the PHASE option to 0°
  • Set the AUTO power option to always on in order to bypass the AUTO option

Now run the AV receiver's auto calibration using the supplied MIC.

The measurement starts after 5 seconds. The measurement process takes approximately 30 seconds. A test tone is output from each speaker in sequence including the sub in you correctly selected a speaker pattern that includes one. When the measurement is complete, a beep sounds.

Once the calibration is complete, go into the speaker settings on the AVR again and set all the speakers as being SMALL in size. Set the associated crossovers no lower than 80Hz. THe actual crossover may even need to be set higher than this depending upon the speakers you are using?

Note that if the subwoofer you have is one that also include HIGH LEVEL left and right speaker terminals, do not use these and connect your front left and right speakers to the terminals on the AV receiver, not the sub!

If required then here's a link to the AV receiver's manual:

From said manual:
… set the speaker pattern to a setting (“x.1”) that has an active subwoofer, and [Small] is selected for [Size] in [Speaker Setting] menu.

One also assumes that you've actually connected the powrr cord to the active sub, plugged it into the mains electricity and turned it on?

It should also be noted that the sub's output isn't directional so you'd have great difficulty actually localising it relative to what it is outputting. For testing purposes you may want to play something that has a lot of bass and then gently place a finger on the sub's driver to feel whether or not it is active?

Last edited:

Kine

Novice Member
I found out what happened, one of the cables on the back of the sub wasn't all the way connected. It works now. Thank you for the help!

dante01

Distinguished Member
As I stated above, you only need one connection to the sub. You do not need both the left and right inputs and need only utilise one of them. All subwoofers mix the left and right channels in order to give them a mono signal. The AV receiver already does this and the sub pre out on the AV receiver is already mono in nature. You only need one RCA cable from the AVR to just one of the sub's low level RCA inputs.

No idea as to why you are using both the inputs on the sub?

Last edited:

suprXero

Novice Member
I hope this thread isn't too old to reply to but I'm having a similar issue. Everything is hooked up correctly and I hear sound coming from the subwoofers just fine except when in stereo mode. Even when setting the speaker pattern to 2.1 only the left and right speakers produce sound. I can change the sound field and get the sub to come on with multichannel stereo but is there any way to get actual stereo Plus a sub with this receiver?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I hope this thread isn't too old to reply to but I'm having a similar issue. Everything is hooked up correctly and I hear sound coming from the subwoofers just fine except when in stereo mode. Even when setting the speaker pattern to 2.1 only the left and right speakers produce sound. I can change the sound field and get the sub to come on with multichannel stereo but is there any way to get actual stereo Plus a sub with this receiver?

What AV receiver is it and does it include an option to set the speakers as being SMALL?

2 channel sources do not include a discrete LFE channel so an active sub would ordinarilly remain dormant while portraying stereo 2 channel sources. What you'd need to do is set the speakers as being SMALL and then assign them crossover settings. The AV receiver will then redirect frequencies at and below the associated crossover configurations away from the speakers designated small and out to the sub.

suprXero

Novice Member
What AV receiver is it and does it include an option to set the speakers as being SMALL?

2 channel sources do not include a discrete LFE channel so an active sub would ordinarilly remain dormant while portraying stereo 2 channel sources. What you'd need to do is set the speakers as being SMALL and then assign them crossover settings. The AV receiver will then redirect frequencies at and below the associated crossover configurations away from the speakers designated small and out to the sub.
Thank you for your reply currently all of my speakers are set to small and crossed over at 80 Hz in the avr

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your reply currently all of my speakers are set to small and crossed over at 80 Hz in the avr

The sub should therefore be engaged even if handling 2 channel stereo content. The only exception to this may be in some instances when using some AV receiver's that include a PURE DIRECT or similar mode. Such modes bypass and negate an AV receiver's bass management and result in all the speakers being regarded as full range or LARGE.

Again, what is your AV receiver?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom