Subwoofer with AV8 Analogue Direct

thatMikeguy

Hey all,
I as sure this has been asked before but I can't find it anymore so here goes. I am trying to listen to some 2 channel music through my Slim Devices Transporter using the CD analogue connection on the AV8 and running it Analogue Direct. When I do this I can not get the subwoofer into the mix. Is there a way to get the woofer to play (other than high level outs on the sub (it doesn't have it))? Any help greatly appreciated.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
If you are using it in direct mode then no you cannot use the subwoofer unless it is connected via the high level connection. You best compromise is to run the AV8 in stereo mode which still allows you to use Stereo + Sub.

thatMikeguy

Crusty,
I have been told that the high level connection reduces sound quality or something... what are your thoughts on this. The new sub I am eyeing doens't even have high outs... I am also assuming that in Direct mode all digital processing is off so I wouldn't be able to filter the low frequencies from the mains?
Cheers,
Mike

tvh3ad

I've written about this before...yes, you can do this with the AV8/9 without using high-level sub inputs, but there are some requirements:

- Your sub needs to have line-level inputs (most do)
- Your sub needs to be able to accept both LFE and line-level at the same time, and with sub crossover active on the line-level and disabled on the LFE (some do, notably rel and martinlogan)
- Your power amp needs to have a line-level pass-through (a few do, notably Arcam and Linn)

To get this configured:

- Cable the LFE output from your processor into your sub's LFE input as you normally would.
- Cable the line-level outputs from your L+R power amp into the line-level inputs on the sub
- In the processor, set the F+L speaker size to LARGE and turn OFF sub stereo.
- Set the crossover on your sub to whatever value best suits your mains, turn on the processor's direct mode, and then set the sub's level according to what sounds good to you for stereo.
- After you're happy with the stereo sound, level-set the LFE using the processor's internal test tone and trim control. (Don't adjust the sub's internal crossover or level again or you'll change your stereo configuration and you'll have to start over.)

Voila...direct mode+sub, no high-level input, and the sub still works for multichannel material without having to make any changes when you switch back and forth.

I've been set up this way for about a year and I'm pretty happy with it.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Crusty,
I have been told that the high level connection reduces sound quality or something... what are your thoughts on this.

You have been told wrong then. The REL Stentor 3 that I use with my system performs very well indeed with both the low and high level connections. I use the high level for music pusposes only.

thatMikeguy

I kinda figured that it couldn't be all bad as most of the very high end subs (like the Stentor III) have them. It is just disapointingn as the JL Audio F113 which is an astoundingly great sounding sub does not!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom