Subwoofer volume

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by h6oly, Feb 1, 2009.

1. h6oly

h6oly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I am new to home cinema, so bare with me.
    I have just purchased a Epos ELS sub.
    It sounds excellent.

However, when i turn the volume of my surround amp down the sub stays the same volume. Is this normal?, as it completely drowns out the rest of the speakers.
    I have to reach round the back of the sub and turn the volume on that.
    This seems a pain to do this everytime.

Cheers

2. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    How do you have it connected and what is it connected to?

3. h6oly

h6oly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have it connected to my panasonic all in one surround amp with the aux out into the low level input on the sub.
    I am currently building up my system and I am using this amp while save up for a Sony strda2400es.

Cheers

4. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    I would think the problem lies with Aux Out which is a fixed volume.

How was the original sub connected?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. h6oly

h6oly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It was connected to a speaker connection. This has only one positive an negative connection.
    The Epos requires two each.

I take it the new sony 2400es would fix this issue?

6. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Its possible that the Epos would work fine with just the one pair of wires connected to a high level In, as a plausible workaround but I am reluctant to suggest this due to my limited knowledge and lack of details (specs) on the Panasonic system.

The 2400ES would definitely fix the issue.

7. h6oly

h6oly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the help.

Like I say, Im new to all of this. :)

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    We'll assume that you have no Sub, Subwoofer, Sub-out, SubW or LFE phono socket on your present amp.

We'll also pray that there is no active crossover in the amplifier. Or there will be no bass in the speaker channels for the subwoofer to play.

Try connecting just one Main (Left or Right) speaker channel (+ and -) to the terminals of one pair of the Hi Level (or Speaker level) channel terminals on your subwoofer. The subwoofer volume will then go up and down with the system volume.

There is no need to worry that you you are connecting in parallel with a speaker because your subwoofer is active. (i.e.internally amplified) Normally it is a complete no-no to connect two passive speakers (or a passive subwoofer) to the same speaker channel as it often causes overheating.

Turn the power off to the system and subwoofer at the wall. Unplug if you like. Connect the subwoofer to one Main speaker channel using perfectly ordinary lighting flex. Twist the bare ends to go into the terminals and ensure there are no stray strands shorting between any two terminals. You can connect the subwoofer direct to the amplifier if more convenient. Or to the terminals on the back of the nearest Main speaker. (Left or Right makes no difference)

Switch everything back on and start with the volume at zero on both system (amp) and subwoofer. Put on a bassy record or film. Turn up your amp to get some sound out of the speakers first. Then turn up the subwoofer gain (volume) very carefully until it matches the speaker output. Fine adjust levels as necessary for your normal seating position.

Do not connect two speakers channels to the same subwoofer as it may cause damage.

If you get no sound out of the subwoofer it may be that the speakers are not receiving very deep bass to protect them. In a normal surround system the amp's internal crossover blocks bass to the speakers. I'm hoping this is not true with your present amp. If there is no bass in the speaker channels the subwoofer cannot play it and you'll just have to persist with the Aux socket and adjusting the sub volume manually.

9. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Post 5 led me to believe a passive subwoofer was previously connected to a dedicated output.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Whoops! Now I think about it his active subwoofer will be internally isolated between the two stereo channels. (L&R) So our OP can safely use both Main speaker channels to feed his subwoofer via the Hi-Level terminals. He will have to carefully maintain Left and Right and match the polarity colour coding. (Red and black, + & -)

Sorry if I have caused any confusion. :suicide:

11. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    As I mentioned earlier, your post (number 5) leads me to believe that your previous passive sub woofer was connected by a positive & negative wire from its own dedicated output on the Panasonic box.

This carries the sub out, the .1 of 5.1, so I don't think using a high level in with Right & Left fronts will yield any bass.

Assuming my assumption is correct:

In most cases you cannot use a passive sub output with an active sub but in this case you have high level inputs which are designed to take an amplified feed and extract the relevant info.

My suggestion, and it is only a suggestion, which someone more learned may say is unworkable, is to:

Use the old sub out wire and connect that to either the right or left High Level in. Set the sub crossover to max, sub volume midway, (to start with) and my belief is that all sub output info will be output by the sub and the volume will be controlled by the Panasonic volume control.