1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer volume

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by superaffordable, Apr 2, 2003.

1. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Should I be right in thinking that if the amplifier is set up at say half volume, them the volume on the sub should ideally also be set up at half volume and so on?

Or, should I stop giving up volume to the sub as soon as I hear the sub itself without any apparent sound coming from the movie?

Or else, can somebody give a better idea of meassurement please.

Before anybody say, I cant play by ear because my ears are as missed up and confused as I am :)

Thanks

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,446
    I don't actually own a sub (U.E. I will be buying from you one day, thats a promise!!!) but from what I've read, turn it down so you can just hear it, then turn it down a tad more.

Of course at the end of the day, you are the one living with it so have it at a volume that suits you.

Also, once it is set, the volume should then be regulated by the volume control for the whole system, so you shouldn't need to touoch it again.

Hope this helps.

3. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

This is (as you say) as I used to have it and it worked relatively well considering the low specs
    subwoofer panasonic sb110 or something similar and techics hi-fi with dvd player

It used to give some vibrations to the room (5x4 metres) as well as it used to envolve you in some kind of tridimensional sound if you know what I mean

Today, for not reason, I just notice that the only way to notice the subwoofer is by putting the volume right up (in the sub) but of course this affects as you can now hear that no-nice sound coming from it

Any ideas of why this change out of nowhere?
    Both machines are practically brand new

Also, in case this mean something to you, I notice that by pulling out the conection to the sub (where it connects in the hi-fi), it does a huge and horrible noise that I dont know how to describe.

Unfortunately, I dont know if it sound it this way before as I never tried pulling it out

Thanks to anybody that can maybe put some light my way

4. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try pulling the connection out whilst the sub/amp are still switched on?

5. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I did try pulling it off and when the connection was almost out, the sound on the connection itself was simply horrrible and very loud

Sorry I could not describe that sound even on my own language never mind in English :)

But like I say above, is the first time I tried pulling the connection off so I am not sure if this was happening before or this happens just now

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to remove cables with the amp and subwoofer switched off!

7. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the other hand, I notice today that if I put the volume of the sub right up (over 3/4 of its gain) them works okay but them I think I am probably hearing the sub even when I dont mean to.

I could be wrong as my knowedge on this is more than limitated

Another thing, people, for example Shodan, say, put the sub up until you can hear it and then turn it down a bit...

What they mean?
    Do they mean put the subwoofer on itself, (ie without any movie playing etc)?

The reason I ask is because if I put the subwoofer on itself then I heard nothing (I suppose this is what it means to happen)

But on the other hand if I put the sub on with a source playing, them obvioulsy I heard it or not depending on the volume of the source, therefore I am also lost in this point

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My preference for subwoofer crossover (regardless of using floorstander speaker or sats) is 80hz.

Try that setting. Decease subwoofer volume. Use the test tone from the amp- it should output to the subwoofer. Set to around the same volume as the other speakers.

Try some heavy action films. If you can hear the subwoofer chuffing/parping, it's too loud/subwoofer can't handle it. Reduce subwoofer volume.

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Put on some dance music with a heavy and constant bass line and then turn down the sub until you just can't hear where it is in the room (the direction is obvious when it is turned up too high). Then turn it down a smidge more. This should be the level to give good bass, fill in the lowend without overpowering the rest of the frequency range.

10. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both of yours

Right the crossover is already at 80 Natham. Its the volume that is driving me insane

When I run the sound test, for the life of me that I cant say is the sound is similar (loud) from either speaker. I suppose I should need to buy one of these sound meters

By the way, the speakers are not satelite but not floorstands either, they are like floorstands but mounted in stands

Now, if I do as Nobber says, then I DO NOT fill absolutely any differences with the subwoofer on or off. If in the other hand I put it up on volume, them I heard and fill the sub but I believe that this is not right either as I can hear the sub

Could it be guys, that the hi-fi it simply is better than I think and is reproducing the sound quite good and the sub being worse than I think, hence me not finding that much of a difference with or without sub unless I turn the volume up on the sub??

The front speakers in the hifi have three cones where the bigger one (17cm) is a passive subwoofer

AAAAAAAAAAAahhh, sorry complicate anybodys life
    I am so glad in one hand I found this forum as they are showing me a lot but I am so sorry at the same time as I was a happy man before and not that foxy with sound, etc :)

Thanks all

11. OBI-1

OBI-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do hope you have set your AV amp/receiver to output LFE to the sub and not the main L & R pair!!

What type of sub do you have?

12. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In this aspect, I could not set it up wrong even if I wanted as there is nothing to set up on the av other than connecting the sub to the right connection which I have

The sub is a panasonic sb-wa110 (active 100W) (the one who normally sells with the Panasonic XR system (very very slim)

The av is the panasonic thecnics hi-fi sv-280 which also plays dvd