Subwoofer vibration question

whmacs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
When I installed the home theatre in the family room my wife was pretty flexible except for two things. 1) No wires visible 2) no speakers or subwoofer on the floor. To met this requirements I used Jamo THX D6 speakers that are wall mounted and the Jamo 15" SW-3015 subwoofer that sits in the cabinet on the right hand side. This cabinet is 3.8m x.8m x .8m and quite solid (see attached link). The problem I have is that the sub will sometimes cause the cabinet to vibrate when a long low notes are played. I realise that the best solution is to move the sub out of the cabinet, but this would violate rule (2) and is not an option. Is there anything I could site the sub on in the cabinet that would stop these vibrations?
Cabinet (sub on right)

Thanks,
Stephen

Placing a subwoofer on a sold block of granite, slate or marble is very popular in the UK and this could cut down the vibrations if they are being caused by the sub.

It is more likely that it is the deeper notes that are causing something in the cabinet or the cabinet itself to vibrate though air pressure and there is little that you can do about that apart from batten everything down.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the advice. Its a servo based sub and I suspect that it is air pressure that is causing the entire cabinet to vibrate at low frequencies. I'll try the granite block to see if this improves things.

thanks,
Stephen

I don't think that a granite block will help if it's the air pressure. If that is the sub I am thinking of it is much too powerful to be put in a cupboard as it is the interaction of subwoofer with the room that shapes the sound and you are trying to put the sub in a "room" that is far too small.

Can a Behringer Feedback Destroyer work in this situation Ian??

A friend used his to make a notch filter at 42hz to stop his radiator rattling, and it worked very well. He doesn't notice that particular frequency being reduced, and managed to flatten out the rest of the frequencies in the mean time.

Not sure if this situation is the same though.

Gary.

I don't think it would work. If you have a powerful subwoofer, when playing deep bassy bits at high levels you can feel the waves of bass hitting you in the chest. A couple of forum members came round for a demo recently and I played the whale scene from Finding Nemo above reference level (by mistake) and all the toys in my four year old's toy box started leaping about and rattling from the pressure.

In this instance I think the two options for killing the vibrations are re-inforcing the cupboard or bringing the sub out of the cupboard during film time and putting it back afterwards. The alternative is to live with it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom