1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Upgrade!!!!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by vee_cee, Feb 5, 2003.

1. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Subwoofers seem to be a popular topic at the moment ....

so i thought i'd add a question or two as well.....

I'm looking at upgrading the kef psw2000 sub in the next month or so, due to the kef not being musical enough and wanting some more movie weight.

I've been wondering what sort of budget i need to be looking at before the sub gets too good for the "eggs".

I would prefer a nice looking item with a light wood finish.....instead of the black boxes from velodyne.....(if only the cht10 or 15 came in a nicer finish than black or silver!)

Have you guys got any recomendations?

Room is 3.5 X 5m

Comments on the REL Strata III and the MJ Acoustics Reference 1 would be welcome too...seem to be the only wood finish subs I could find.

Thanks in advance
    VC

2. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Paradigm Servo 15 is available in cherry as well as black. Take a look here
    Available from the end of the month until stocks last from Richersounds for a mere £499 + £25 p&p
    I can't pass comment as I have yet to hear one in action, but will be able to soon hopefully :)

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well...

the Mission M5AS is around for £350-375 and has got HCC and WHF 5 star reviews, this october/november... (normal rrp is £500)

It is 'big' but its real wood veneer and I have it 'on show'.... (beech/silver port)

I'd just check it out on their website... it is very musical... read the reviews (snippets are on the mission website)..... apart from its size.. it may just suit you...

I can vouch personally that compared to the PSW2000 its in another league....

4. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Zig....The servo 15 looks like another one for the list...

Found another sub thats available in a wood finish is the B&W ASW675

Trouble is with subs is getting demos of all the choices and then home dems...

Cheers
    VC

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You might want to consider the ATC Concept 1 sub at £600ish - comes in a variety of gorgeous real wood veneers. Has the same driver and amplification as my £1100 Concept 2 sub, which is very nice indeed. Trouble is, it can be tricky getting a demo of ATC kit...

Cheers,

Dunc

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Vee-cee
    I upgraded from the relq150e to the B&Wasw675 this sub isnt much bigger than the rel but is more than twice the weight. it also comes in a very light oak which looks great. Its got 500w of power and also sounds very good with music as well as movies so if your after a smallish sub in light wood thats good quality you wont go far wrong with the B&W sub.
    gonzo.:smashin:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't believe that a Servo 15 is a sensible match for small budget satellites and would not recommend that sub unless you wished to upgrade the satellites as well.

To my mind it is like trying to stuff a 4 litre engine into a Fiesta.

8. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonzo.......the ASW675 is top of the list, I'm sure I've seen it for £579 at my local Superfi....is that a good price?

Ian J ...thats the sort of advice I was looking for...thanks.

Need to do some demos now, will report back when I've finished the upgrade.

Cheers
    VC

9. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    vee_cee

If you buy anything from superfi check the online price first, it is sometimes much cheaper on there own website.
    Then get your local branch to match it ;)

Has saved me a few quid.

Bry

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi vee-cee
    I paid £580 from an authorised B&W dealer you should get 10% knocked off most B&W speakers.
    ps it says that the sub needs about 60 hours running in so things can only get better.
    Gonzo.:)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    With the exception of dunkyboy most of the answers have come from Staffordshire.

I live in Tamworth and have a Rel Storm. If you live near enough by all means bring some eggs over and see what they sound like with a Storm.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,738
    ditto with the Servo 15, except I live in Cambridge, bit of a long trek for you....

13. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had chance over the past few days to check out some subs.

The B&W ASW675 is a big improvement over the Kef PSW2000, so is high on the wanted list.

Still not sure were it would go practically in the living room, as i think part of my current sub problems are due to its position, if its out into the room it becomes light weight, back into the bay weight becomes better but over blown.

But a forward firing sub might be easier to position? ...true?...comments?

Also checked out visually the Rel Strata III and the MJ accoustics Ref 1, both of these are just too big for the living room.

So I've been doing some more scouting about and thought about going another route to subwoofer satisfaction...and that is (for not much more money)

...a pair of Gallo MPS 150's ....i've read some good things about this sub....its got a small footprint ....and i've also read that a stereo set of subs can be tuned to combat room peaks and troughs...is this correct?

Thanks in advance
    VC

14. aka

aka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi vee cee,
    I've test the ASW675 couple weeks ago, it is very nice with music, nice deep bass, also with movie... too bad, my budget is limited...
    good luck on your sub hunting...;)
    i'm gonna need it too:(