1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer upgrade

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by -, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jubbly - it's funny you posting this. This morning my little boy was watching Dinosaur and I was thinking how the opening scene with the egg didn't have enough atmosphere.

I'm v.happy with the sound generally but would just like that extra bit of something on stuff like that.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers
    OG

2. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dolby digial toshiba tv and i am thinking of attaching an external sub woofer ?
    Would i get a benefit from just changing the sub woofer or would i have to buy separate front speakers as well, but i don't want to fork out for front speakers as well.

3. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will do if anyone can be assed to answer my question, ANYONE ???

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,668
    I have a friend who had a DD Tosh TV. He spent a little dosh on a separate amp (Sherwood) and speakers (Eltax) all from Richer Sounds, plus a REL Q100e.
    The difference in sound quality is, of course, astonishing.
    In the short term, you may well be able to add a sub to your TV, but it depends on what kind of connections are available.
    Get a budget subwoofer, though, and you may not find the improvement is as good as if you get a decent subwoofer.
    It really is worth spending a little more - see it as an investment - and getting a good subwoofer. Look at £350+ for a REL Q50 or even a Q100e if you look hard enough.

5. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Jubbly,
    I have aToshDD TV I wanted to connect anew centre speaker ,but could not because the TVs centre is built in I end up buy an amp,
    fronts ,centre , rears &a sub,so I think you will be in the same position, because the sub is built in hope this is of help to you.
    Jim :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don't really agree.
    I think getting a small relatively cheap subwoofer will give your sound a big boost.
    Of course a seperate amp and speakers will be MUCH better...but the price will also be much higher.

The subs you should look at are the smaller subs.
    Ideally the Tannoy MSub or such like it.
    For a maximum of 125 GBP you should get a very good sub. Even when you upgrade to seperates..the sub is still usefull.
    Yamaha's smaller cheaper subs are i think excellent buys. They are pretty good and because they change models often you can get lucky and find some on sale.