Subwoofer upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JMW, Aug 22, 2013.

1. JMW

JMW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

I'm always pinching info from AVF so thought it was about time I joined. I'm in need of your opinions please.

My system consists of...

Samsung D8000 TV
    Onkyo TX-SR 705 AVR
    Mission MX3 fronts
    Mission MXC1 centre
    Mission dipole surrounds
    X2 Paradigm PDR 10 MKI subwoofers.

You can see where this is going by the last item on the list! My old trusty PDR10's are getting rather long in the tooth and are a little slow for my taste. They are co-located and set to just underpin the fronts and provide the LFE wallop! They do an admirable job for such old subs, I've had one forever and the other one I acquired for free and set up with the existing one as on it's own could get pushed sometimes in my room.

I'm not a bass junkie like some, I'll take properly set up, accurate bass over sheer quantity that clouds the rest of the detail from the Missions.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to get a Tannoy TS-10 or Mission M3AS for around £50, but I'm not sure if either will be any more capable than 2 PDR 10's. The Tannoy is sealed and seemed to get good reviews when it was released, I'm sure this would offer tighter bass but am I replacing old for old and would be better off waiting and getting a BK Gemini or XLS200 after Xmas. (Budget is an issue at the moment while the missus is on maternity leave!)

Any opinions would be appreciated especially if you've heard the Mission or the Tannoy subs.

PS.

I'm new to the forum and I work for Bang & Olufsen (non brainwashed hence my system!). I'll answer any B&O questions that anyone might have in the future biggrin.gif

2. JMW

JMW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually thinking about it and doing more reading REW and a mic maybe a better investment. Also try and separate the Paradigm's to smooth out the bass and re run Audyssey. :lesson:

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    I used to have the TS10 and it was a good sub but not exactly an expensive one. I then replaced it with a REL T1 and the difference was quite marked. The T1 is probably equivalent to the XXLS400 in the BK range hence I would suggest not getting the Tannoy but saving up for a decent sub.

4. Tonkerdog

Tonkerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Whats brainwashed about working for Bang and Olufsen? Honest question, as most of the folk i meet in their shops are nice decent professional types!

5. JMW

JMW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Brainwashed was probably the wrong phrase. All I meant was I know some people on forums take a dim view of B&O and some even compare it to Bose! :mad:

I love a lot of B&O stuff but I'm also open minded and don't blindly believe it's always better than everything else.

6. Tonkerdog

Tonkerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I wouldnt worty o much about what the arm chair experts on these forums think about B&O. It just goes to prove their ignorance of quite what goes ino their products, and the research centre at Struer. The biggest and most advanced sound room on the planet I believe! It makes the facilities at B&W/Linn look like child's play, but because they look like dull they seem to be cool in some perverse inverse snobbery.

As for other brands , I've just returned my new Beoplay earbuds. Compared to my new B&W C5s they were crap. My Beovision 11 on the other hand I wouldn't swap for anything on the planet. Except or a 7-55 but that's another story.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Unfortunately, forums attract a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about, as well as those who do, in equal measure.

8. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    The T-1 is a equivalent to the XLS-300/PR, a sub that was designed to outperform the T-1 for less after a particularly weird magazine award one year. The XXLS-400 is a much better sub than both.

Russell