Subwoofer upgrade - which one?? Spousal approval is a factor...

Firstly. Looks great! As a fellow MA Silver owner, I agree they're fabulous looking (and more importantly) sounding speakers. Even my OH says my 6G 300's look great! Really like the Kef stands too - wasn't sure when I read you went for them. But in fairness they do look good!

Definitely post screenshots of your settings (Post Audessey). There's always tweeks that can be made! On that very subject:

Agreed - moving my centre speaker up to ear level was the biggest improvement SQ wise... That's not to say it wasn't also one of the "tougher sells" to my OH. Mainly because of the shear size of it! (I have a 6th Gen silver C350! 😂

All is not necessarily lost in this regard. There's a couple of options available to you imo. (All obviously subject to approval from the gf of course! 😉😂).

Option 1: Wall mount the TV - high enough so you can place the C250 on top of your stand.

Option 2: Buy a floor standing TV mount. These give the same result as wall mounting the TV, but with far less hassle (which might get GF approval!) The stand would sit behind your existing cabinet. Something like this:

Appreciate my suggestions might not be possible though. However If you can get the speaker closer to ear level in any way, I'll almost certainly guarantee you won't regret it 👍🏼
Good find on the floor stand, that will work for me too as I dont want to wall mount my TV. :thumbsup:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Good find on the floor stand, that will work for me too as I dont want to wall mount my TV. :thumbsup:
They're brilliant for people who don't want to (or can't) wall mount their TV. There's obviously other types of floorstands. The one I linked to was an example only. Just search "TV floorstand" 😊

Had a feeling you'd already explored wall mounting....

Option 2 (floor stand) is still viable though. See below for better explanation!

I didn't mean put the speaker on it's own stand in front of the cabinet! Apologies, I'll try and explain better:

If you were to get a floor stand like I linked to above and placed it behind the cabinet your TV is currently on. Mount the TV to the bracket that's part of the floor stand, thus raising the TV, so you can place the C250 on top of the current TV stand - above the drawers! (ie where your TV is currently sitting!).

The floor stand is essentially acting as a "free standing wall" for the TV - Freeing up the very top surface of your existing TV cabinet for the speaker to sit on. So it's then at eye level under your TV which is on the floor stand vesa bracket.

Hope that helps!
Ah right!! Sorry, somehow I missed that link before...

I'll look into it - but I can't see the OH going for having that beast of a centre channel on top of the unit. Inside the unit - fine. I have noticed a slight change in the placement of the sound from the centre - that is seems a little lower down than it should be (naturally!) - but only when I look for it. I mentioned this to my OH, and she honestly couldn't tell the difference...!

I DO like the idea of that stand though, as it would save us having to go through all those wall mounting shenanigans. That actually gave me another idea, though - put the TV on that, then mount an electric projector screen to descend/ ascend in front of that, and have a massive screen for night time viewing....but put an ultra short throw projector on the unit instead...!! 🤣
But that's for next year...maybe... 😉

Try the opening credits of Edge of Tomorrow but don't turn the volume up too much. I watched Life (2017) starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson and Ryan Reynolds the other night and the bass on the movie is excellent.
Ooooh, I'm aware of that one - and have it! But I am deliberately putting that off for a little while - until my sub has been better run in...! I don't wanna wreck it before I've really had a chance to appreciate it...!! 😂 I think I already pushed it a bit with the opening of the two Bladerunner films....

I'm, gonna watch Oblivion in a moment - plenty of LFE in that one, particularly with the drones - enough to see if we get any complaints from the neighbours...!! 🤣

I DO like the idea of that stand though, as it would save us having to go through all those wall mounting shenanigans. That actually gave me another idea, though - put the TV on that, then mount an electric projector screen to descend/ ascend in front of that, and have a massive screen for night time viewing....but put an ultra short throw projector on the unit instead...!! 🤣
But that's for next year...maybe... 😉
😂😂😂😂....

Are we related!?....

I'm planning something very similar to the screen/PJ. My TV's wall mounted though!!

😂😂😂😂....

Are we related!?....

I'm planning something very similar to the screen/PJ. My TV's wall mounted though!!
I've just noticed - your set up is VERY similar to mine...!! Same streamer, same series of speakers (although yours are the larger versions - lucky you!!), same sub....and now we have identical plans for our future set ups....seperated at birth, maybe...??? 😂

I've just noticed - your set up is VERY similar to mine...!! Same streamer, same series of speakers (although yours are the larger versions - lucky you!!), same sub....and now we have identical plans for our future set ups....seperated at birth, maybe...??? 😂
Nope....

You'd be more like my older sibling.... who always gets the newer clothes etc!....

Me: Denon 4500H
You: Denon 6700H ✅

Me: 6th Gen Silvers
You: 7th Gen Silvers ✅

Me: 2x SVS SB2000 Pro's)
You: 1x SVS SB2000 Pro (Although you know you'll end up going dual! 😂😂😉)

😂😂😂😂

They're brilliant for people who don't want to (or can't) wall mount their TV. There's obviously other types of floorstands. The one I linked to was an example only. Just search "TV floorstand" 😊
I was set on buying one from Rfiver on Amazon but the one you listed looks more stable and more suitable for my requirements.

I was set on buying one from Rfiver on Amazon but the one you listed looks more stable and more suitable for my requirements.
I remember mentioning that one to you previously! Glad I could help further! 😊

Congratulations great setup but I had to laugh when you said you demoed it with A Quiet Place I've just got a pair of monitor audio c265 ceiling speakers and watched the movie last weekend to see how they performed. They sounded fantastic great atmos track and low bass with a few beers I then watched A Quiet Place II. The next day I'm cutting the grass and my next door neighbour asked me if I enjoyed the film last night I apologise straight away saying sorry if it was to loud she said its OK but we had to laugh because the ornaments on the mantelpiece where moving and I've only got a Rel HT1003. I've since moved it from the front corner of the room again the party wall to the back of the room in the opposite corner. It was quite embarrassing when she asked me the name of the film and I said A Quiet Place 🤣🤣

Congratulations great setup but I had to laugh when you said you demoed it with A Quiet Place I've just got a pair of monitor audio c265 ceiling speakers and watched the movie last weekend to see how they performed. They sounded fantastic great atmos track and low bass with a few beers I then watched A Quiet Place II. The next day I'm cutting the grass and my next door neighbour asked me if I enjoyed the film last night I apologise straight away saying sorry if it was to loud she said its OK but we had to laugh because the ornaments on the mantelpiece where moving and I've only got a Rel HT1003. I've since moved it from the front corner of the room again the party wall to the back of the room in the opposite corner. It was quite embarrassing when she asked me the name of the film and I said A Quiet Place 🤣🤣
I haven't dared to have the sub up too loud yet - I want to run it/ break it in over a few days first...but having said that, watching "Oblivion" earlier, I felt the floor and sofa vibrate - and I didn't think it was particularly loud!! My old Canton sub had to be loud to get that effect...!! My GF passed through on the way to the bathroom - and I was worried that I had woken her up...! She said no, not at all - so those feet are doing their job then!!! Cos the old sub would've deffo woken her up if the sofa was shaking...!

Also did my first gaming sesh on it tonight - Star Wars Battlefront II, so plenty of explosions, gunfire and the like - not a peep from anyone around me, and no word from the OH!! 😁

I have to admit that during watching "Oblivion", I actually said "Wow" out loud...!! Yep, I am one happy bunny right now!! 😁😁😁

But I can't wait to push it a bit further when I get the chance...just taking it one day at a time...don't wanna wreck my sub before I've even started (or my flat, for that matter)...!

@TrigFX - congratulations and welcome to the Home Cinema club!

I've had a look online at your previous Canton Movie 75 system and you are now a million miles away from that:

1664067845711.png

No wonder you are hearing micro details you couldn't before, as well as the visceral impact from a full range movie soundtrack.

It's also a very neat and tidy set up that looks uniform and harmonious with its surroundings, so well done on that score, too.

However, I must agree with previous posters: your Centre speaker is way too low and your system would sound so much better if you were to place it on the top shelf of your TV unit so it's firing more towards your tummy.

@Jester1066's suggestion of a TV floor stand placed behind your TV unit and the TV mounted on it would work really well and not detract from the aesthetic you're looking for at all. And it's really not a big Centre speaker, the TV unit would still dwarf it and you would adjust to its new placement very quickly. The sonic benefits would be evident.

Also really pleased that the SVS feet suggestion has worked in your room, too. They are expensive for what they are, but it is a no-maintenance, one-time purchase so well worth the investment.

Last edited:
@TrigFX - sorry to labour the point, but a similar Thread to yours popped into my head and I remembered this image:

1664074089042.png

It's from this Thread if you're interested:

Anyway, ignore the wall-mounted TV, it's just to show you how a small Centre speaker placed on top of a large TV unit can look. And I think his DALI has similar dimensions to your Monitor Audio, too.

It's not exactly obtrusive, is it? And it really will make a world of difference to the sound, trust me.

What level of volume are you listen at? On the reference scale?

@TrigFX - To expand on the point below:

And I think his DALI has similar dimensions to your Monitor Audio, too.
Here's the dimensions of both speakers' for comparison (all in mm)

C250 7G
H=206 x W=481 x D=272

Dali Vokal Opticon MK1 (Centre in the pic @Derek S-H shared):
H=201 x W=435 x D=312

So they are indeed similar in size!

In my own situation my centre is big:

Silver C350
H=235 x W=560 x D=270

I have my centre speaker on top of my custom cabinet - Which is around 750mm high (from floor to cabinet top). So I use a much taller cabinet than you. The TV is mounted so there's approx 100mm gap from the top of the C350 to the bottom of the TV. Doing this means all 3 tweeters of my front speakers are at ear height (and almost in line with each other - Give or take a few mm)...

All this does have a massive effect of SQ. So despite the potential "hassle" involved in changing the speakers position. It will be worth it

@TrigFX - To expand on the point below:

Here's the dimensions of both speakers' for comparison (all in mm)

C250 7G
H=206 x W=481 x D=272

Dali Vokal Opticon MK1 (Centre in the pic @Derek S-H shared):
H=201 x W=435 x D=312

So they are indeed similar in size!

In my own situation my centre is big:

Silver C350
H=235 x W=560 x D=270

I have my centre speaker on top of my custom cabinet - Which is around 750mm high (from floor to cabinet top). So I use a much taller cabinet than you. The TV is mounted so there's approx 100mm gap from the top of the C350 to the bottom of the TV. Doing this means all 3 tweeters of my front speakers are at ear height (and almost in line with each other - Give or take a few mm)...

All this does have a massive effect of SQ. So despite the potential "hassle" involved in changing the speakers position. It will be worth it
The issue with a high cabinet is that the TV is now too high in order to clear the cabinet and the centre speaker. This is why I am looking at getting a lower cabinet in order to have my centre speaker on top of the cabinet but with the TV at an appropriate height for me. Of course this then gives me the issue that my bookshelf front speakers are going to be a bit lower than I would like.

The issue with a high cabinet is that the TV is now too high in order to clear the cabinet and the centre speaker. This is why I am looking at getting a lower cabinet in order to have my centre speaker on top of the cabinet but with the TV at an appropriate height for me. Of course this then gives me the issue that my bookshelf front speakers are going to be a bit lower than I would like.
Totally appreciate that. My post isn't intended as a "one size" fits all situations. Everyone has different requirements/compromises that need to be considered. In my case, (for a number of reasons) a high cabinet (That is more than a media unit btw 😉) & TV mounting position works. Both aesthetically and practically.

It was to demonstrate there are many ways to get a centre speaker more at ear level, If he chose to, without altering his cabinet etc. I'm not suggesting he get a taller TV cabinet, apologies if it came across like that. 😊

Off topic: Indeed, lack of a suitable off the shelf AV/TV unit, was what led me down the custom route. There was simply nothing that ticked all the boxes I needed etc. An investment yes, but it'll last me years. But I'll go more into this when I do my cabinet build thread!

s cabinet etc. I'm not suggesting he get a taller TV cabinet, apologies if it came across like that. 😊

Off topic: Indeed, lack of a suitable off the shelf AV/TV unit, was what led me down the custom route. There was simply nothing that ticked all the boxes I needed etc. An investment yes, but it'll last me years. But I'll go more into this when I do my cabinet build thread!

One of these

Plus regular hifi racking works for me.

Totally appreciate that. My post isn't intended as a "one size" fits all situations. Everyone has different requirements/compromises that need to be considered. In my case, (for a number of reasons) a high cabinet (That is more than a media unit btw 😉) & TV mounting position works. Both aesthetically and practically.

It was to demonstrate there are many ways to get a centre speaker more at ear level, If he chose to, without altering his cabinet etc. I'm not suggesting he get a taller TV cabinet, apologies if it came across like that. 😊

I know you weren’t suggesting the bigger cabinet :) I was just putting another perspective on the issue of getting a centre speaker at the best height without having to compromise elsewhere. Not easy to do.

@TrigFX - congratulations and welcome to the Home Cinema club!

I've had a look online at your previous Canton Movie 75 system and you are now a million miles away from that:

View attachment 1757241

No wonder you are hearing micro details you couldn't before, as well as the visceral impact from a full range movie soundtrack.

It's also a very neat and tidy set up that looks uniform and harmonious with its surroundings, so well done on that score, too.

However, I must agree with previous posters: your Centre speaker is way too low and your system would sound so much better if you were to place it on the top shelf of your TV unit so it's firing more towards your tummy.

@Jester1066's suggestion of a TV floor stand placed behind your TV unit and the TV mounted on it would work really well and not detract from the aesthetic you're looking for at all. And it's really not a big Centre speaker, the TV unit would still dwarf it and you would adjust to its new placement very quickly. The sonic benefits would be evident.

Also really pleased that the SVS feet suggestion has worked in your room, too. They are expensive for what they are, but it is a no-maintenance, one-time purchase so well worth the investment.
Believe me, I want that more than anything!! But right now, the missus won't go for it. She's still ill though, so I will wait til she's better. For now, I've ordered some doorstop wedges to angle it upwards. But to be honest, even when she's better, I cannot see her agreeing to put such a massive speaker on the very top of the media cabinet. I just can't see that happening. At least not right now.

I will work on that one though....need to do more research on those TV stand/ bracket type things (never seen them before!). What I DO know is that if ANY part of that stand is visible above the media unit when done, then it'llbe a no-go. But I seriously think that given the size of the centre speaker, it's just not gonna happen. We will see though...she's surprised me before...

@TrigFX - sorry to labour the point, but a similar Thread to yours popped into my head and I remembered this image:

View attachment 1757250

Anyway, ignore the wall-mounted TV, it's just to show you how a small Centre speaker placed on top of a large TV unit can look. And I think his DALI has similar dimensions to your Monitor Audio, too.

It's not exactly obtrusive, is it? And it really will make a world of difference to the sound, trust me.
The problem is, that decision isn't down to me. If it were, I would've ordered that TV standmount YESTERDAY and be fitting it tomorrow...!! 🤣

This is the issue I will be facing, too. The centre channel is so large, the TV would be too high up, and the L & R channels will be too low down...!! I'm just gonna have to settle for doorstop wedges to angle the centre channel upwards and pray that's enough! To be honest, what I have now is already a HUGE improvement - a higher angle can only make that better still - without having to replace the media unit (that won't happen, as it's hers, matches the drinks cabinet AND the sofa!)...

View attachment 1757250

It's not so much that - it's that the TV will end up being too high up, and in turn, the L&R speakers too low down...plus, if ANY of the TV standmount shows above the media unit, it will very definitely be a firm NO. Plus, I can't see the OH going for such a large speaker going on top of her beautiful media unit (yes, it;s hers, and she's already compromising her plans for the place, by allowing me to have any of this at all!!

There IS one good thing though - the one thing I thought she would complain about: the sub. She kept looking at it yesterday, and then commented that it looks like the speakers - were they the same brand? I said no, and that I had done my research, and chose that deliberately. She was very happy with it, cos it tied in with everything else!! 😁

(I did NOT show her ANY options in the end - I just thought that it would prolong the process further, and it had gone on long enough - and that I would end up having to compromise my choice and end up with something smaller. I decided NOT to give her that chance - and it turns out it was the right thing to do! She has NOT complained about it yet!! That's a HUGE step!! But I did demo the overall sound before she had a chance to let the looks sink in... 😉 She seems to be liking the set up more and more every day.... 🙂)

This is the issue I will be facing, too. The centre channel is so large, the TV would be too high up, and the L & R channels will be too low down...!! I'm just gonna have to settle for doorstop wedges to angle the centre channel upwards and pray that's enough! To be honest, what I have now is already a HUGE improvement - a higher angle can only make that better still - without having to replace the media unit (that won't happen, as it's hers, matches the drinks cabinet AND the sofa!)...
My centre speaker sits on these........

Amazon product ASIN B07T8XP93J

What level of volume are you listen at? On the reference scale?
I'll have to get back to you on that later! Today, I've been replacing some of the older cables with newer ones, and adding banana plugs to all the front speakers (will do the same for the rears next week). Now all I have left to do, is break up all the cardboard boxes, and take them out for recycling - and then re-calibrate the whole set up again....busy day!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom