Question Subwoofer upgrade - SVS SB-1000 vs B&W ASW2500?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Lord Lex, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Lord Lex

Lord Lex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Subwoofer upgrade - SVS SB-1000 vs B&W ASW2500?

Hello,

This is actually my first post but have been following this site for a long time. I hope the knowledgeable and helpful experts here can assist me with my current predicament in choosing a new sub for my den and set me on the right upgrade path.

Please excuse the long post and my ignorance if I am asking really dumb questions.

I recently moved to a new house and have the luxury of my own den, away from the wife. I currently have two set ups, the main HT in the living room and a second in the den, using the old fronts and center from my first ever HT setup.

Living Room (music & movies)
    Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-5
    B&W Speakers - CM7 fronts, CMC2 center, CM1 surrounds, Dual ASW2500 subs

The Den (music & gaming)
    Marantz NR1606, Rotel RA-05 (driving fronts)
    B&W speakers - 602S3 fronts, LCR60 center, M-1 surrounds, No sub

The Den is quite small (2.6m x 3.4m) and space is at a premium. PC desk along one short wall, the TV on the other and swing round on my chair between PC and TV.

I need a compact sub that can handle music and gaming well and the odd movie/TC show when I'm kicked out of the living room.

The SVS SB-1000 seems to fit the bill nicely with excellent reviews. Was also looking at the B&W 608 and 610 but both are a lot more expensive with less favorable reviews.

Main question - How would the SB-1000 compare to the ASW2500 with the 12" driver and 300W amp on the SB-1000 vs the 10"driver and 700W amp on the ASW2500?

Are these subs even in the same league? Would the SB-2000 be a better comparison to make and if so, would it be better than the ASW2500 which is quite long in the tooth?

I live in Japan so have no way to demo before buying and this is where I really need a little advice on the best option to upgrade in the future.

Option 1 - Get one SB-1000 for the den - Then I can potentially replace the 602S3s and LCR60 with M-1s in the future to save space. Keep the ASW2500s in the Living Room.

Option 2 - Get two SB-1000s to replace the ASW2500s in the Living Room and move the B&Ws to the Den if the SB-1000 will be and improvement over the ASW2500s

I'm happy with the B&W subs (picked them both up 2nd hand online) and while I could afford to spend the cash on two new subs for the Living Room, I guess it really comes down to whether the SB-1000 would be an improvement (or the slightly bigger & more powerful SB-2000).

I don't want to make a big mistake and waste money for no benefit (or even detriment) and falling victim to the upgrade bug.

As I live in Japan, I can't really take advantage of the 45 day risk free trial and get two SVS subs and send one back if they don't sound better.

I'm at a real loss here on which way to go as I don't have any idea on how the SVS subs would compare to the B&Ws...

My apologies if I have taken a very long way to essentially ask a simple question, SVS vs B&W but the knowledge, wisdom, recommendations and advice on these forums will be truly appreciated.

Thank you...

2. tommaazz

tommaazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi. If you are considering 2xsb1000 /or 2000 then i would pick up an sb13U (1000w RMS 3600w peak amp and 13,5 inch driver it is roughly as powerful as 2xsb2000 and even more and also with better extension) and that would be a vast improvement over your bW sub. You can check some of the subs measured in this site (here is the comparison between SVS sb12nsd and bw asw xp 610) Data-Bass (sb12nsd would be a close match to a sb1000 maybe a db or two lower at the lowest freq.)...that said you really cant go wrong with any of the svs sb subs especially as you can get almost two for the price of one bw...but i strongly recommend you a single sb13U over a 2xsb1000/2000 you will be in bass heaven and aslo your space is not large so a single powerful sealed sub will shake it really good...i have two sb13u in 4.5x4.5m room and i am very happy with them cant go back now :)

3. sanjualf

sanjualf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Also if you plan to spend >£1000 there are the Arendal sub2 as well as PSA 1500 to consider as well together with SVS SB13 ultra. Tough choices. I have an SVS SB2000 now and it has lots of potency for its diminutive size, if you are thinking about SB1000 it is definitely worth the extra to spend on SB2000

4. Lord Lex

Lord Lex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies!

Would love to but can't really do the SB13U as I only have a few extra inches where the B&Ws are in the main HT and would prefer a dual setup (current positions are 1/4 in on the front wall between the CM7s and looks nice and balanced).

The SB-2000 will just fit but not too keen on those metal grills (wife will definitely complain!).

I'm now leaning towards a single SB-2000 first then do side by side comparison with the B&Ws. If there's a significant improvement over the B&W, buy a second and sell one of the B&Ws (I won't need two subs in the Den). If not much difference I'll just keep the SB-2000 in the Den and stick with B&Ws in the main HT.

Dual SB-2000s will come to just over $1700 including shipping and import duties. Single SB-2000 will be SB-1000s would be $1300.

Or should I really just bite the bullet and get two SB-2000s if they will definitely be better than the B&Ws? I'll save around $200 compared to buying them separately.

It's a tough choice...

5. tommaazz

tommaazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Then just go for dual sb2000 i am sure they will be big improvement over bw and you will save 200...if i compare the xp610(similar to asw2500) with sb12nsd the sb 12 has a big output advantage at low freq (at20hz it has more than 6 db advantage which will take around 2 xp610 to match that) and also sb2000 has around 1-3 db advantage over all the freq range compared to sb12nsd...and also once you have dual subs you can never go back to one

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016