Subwoofer Upgrade - dual, or better single?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I’m sure you’ll be proper impressed. All the reports are really good.

Hope so. If it wasn't for the good value of them, I would have still been contemplating where to go. Arendal's driver on the side left me in a sticky situation with them with awkward placement for my setup, and they are crazy expensive for the same performance. I emailed Arendal and they did say the mono was comparable with the 2V rather than 1V. PSA were a bit chunky and dual monos are cheaper than 1 tv1812 and the 2xtv2112 would have set me back £6k.

In short, I decided to be cheap :D

rccarguy2

Get 77'' man, its a good upgrade. I loved my 77'' OLED.. or 83'' if u can afford it. new sony panels look great.

Price between 65" and 77" is too much, also I I was doing it again I'd want a Panasonic.

Course you could send me few thousand pounds and then I could get one.

Maybe also send me money so can trinnov 32 and couple of JTR rs2

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Price between 65" and 77" is too much, also I I was doing it again I'd want a Panasonic.

Course you could send me few thousand pounds and then I could get one.

Maybe also send me money so can trinnov 32 and couple of JTR rs2
mate ur single u can afford it. :D

DodgeTheViper

Hope so. If it wasn't for the good value of them, I would have still been contemplating where to go. Arendal's driver on the side left me in a sticky situation with them with awkward placement for my setup, and they are crazy expensive for the same performance. I emailed Arendal and they did say the mono was comparable with the 2V rather than 1V. PSA were a bit chunky and dual monos are cheaper than 1 tv1812 and the 2xtv2112 would have set me back £6k.

In short, I decided to be cheap :D
More like a wise decision I think ;)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
If was on £50,000+ probably would but I'm not, cannot justify that sort of money
tax man kills even that mate.. need 200k+ to not have to care about home cinema purchases imo.

JustinT350

@JustinT350 This chart shows the Audioholics' measured output of four of the subs that have been mentioned above so you can see what extra £££ buys you in terms of SPL.

View attachment 1505788

View attachment 1505798

Don't be put off by the SVS list prices as there are some decent discounts to be had if you shop around - I recently paid £2,400 for a pair of PB-3000s (22.5% off RRP).

Chaps again, thanks for all the brilliantly helpful replies. It's very much appreciated.

I'll have a look into the other options aswell, I guess I just expected SVS to be the default answer.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I cant spot if it has been mentioned, but if there is a music element to your listening another serious contender could be the new Velodyne DeepBlue series. IMHO The 12" is tighter and better at music then the SVS 2000, and i've had them running back to back.

About £200 more, so pushing budget again, but a fantastic little performer and a serious contender if you have the need and budget.

Chris, AAC

rccarguy2

I cant spot if it has been mentioned, but if there is a music element to your listening another serious contender could be the new Velodyne DeepBlue series. IMHO The 12" is tighter and better at music then the SVS 2000, and i've had them running back to back.

About £200 more, so pushing budget again, but a fantastic little performer and a serious contender if you have the need and budget.

Chris, AAC

Look ok but 15" isn't that heavy. Quoting Jurassic park

JustinT350

No real music listening at all. Other than YouTube which doesn't really justify having anything fancy

It's all about movies for me

rccarguy2

There's couple of pc 2000 pro for sale and pc 2000.

Dual pc4000 would be ace and they don't take up much space.

I think svs are overpriced now though..my pcu13 cost less than pc2000 pro

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Chaps again, thanks for all the brilliantly helpful replies. It's very much appreciated.

I'll have a look into the other options aswell, I guess I just expected SVS to be the default answer.

Look towards the Monoprice Monolith 15THX, its big, its bold and without a doubt the best value for money sub on the market today. It's a serious bit of kit and one that could comfortably fill that room.

Bass has a substantial impact on how we perceive sound, some research state upto 40%. I know you mentioned £700 as a big outlay but if you can save a little longer or whatever. Buy right, buy once as they say.

JustinT350

Thanks. It looks a bit pricey for me but would consider if it saved a future upgrade.

One last daft question. If I bought a new sub, say monilith or SVS, I'm guessing there is absolutely no benefit to me running my old Sx120 along side it?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks. It looks a bit pricey for me but would consider if it saved a future upgrade.

One last daft question. If I bought a new sub, say monilith or SVS, I'm guessing there is absolutely no benefit to me running my old Sx120 along side it?

Correct! Put it on classifieds, there is always person looking for dirt cheap woofer.

Jester1066

MI55ION

Distinguished Member

Now showing for £1079. Probably need to clarify with Chris @AmericanAudio but a bargain at that price if its in as new condition.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Now showing for £1079. Probably need to clarify with Chris @AmericanAudio but a bargain at that price if its in as new condition.

That`s amazing price! But the question still remains. Can he have two fridges in living room in future? There is people who has bought big woofer, but later had to sell it cause too large having two of those. So perhaps the 12" model could be still option. If no issue with the size then proceed cause similar competitors will cost 2250-2300£.

index.php

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
For sure size is a factor but looking at the room, it's intended purpose and in the absence of any mention of size constraints the 15" seems the pragmatic choice. Of course, if I were in the OP's position, I'd do some cardboard mock-ups to ensure the size is acceptable especially in relation to the Mono 15.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
This one is a customer demo unit that we are collecting and testing today. Then it will be available as an ex-demo unit.

Next batch is in Europe already, just negotiating on price, but reservations for our next delivery of 6 are open.

JustinT350

This one is a customer demo unit that we are collecting and testing today. Then it will be available as an ex-demo unit.

Next batch is in Europe already, just negotiating on price, but reservations for our next delivery of 6 are open.

Interesting. Although more than I intended spending it might be worth me just lumping for your ex demo one.

Can you keep me posted on the demo etc?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Interesting. Although more than I intended spending it might be worth me just lumping for your ex demo one.

Can you keep me posted on the demo etc?

I'm going to receive 2x mono 15s so will update you on how it sounds compared to a bk mono plus.

I did extensive research before this purchase and tbh, the mono 15 is really fighting subs at 2-2.5x its price point so I'd think its a no brainer.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

JustinT350

Maybe a couple of other daft questions.

Monolith 15, or dual Svs Pb1000? Or even dual PB2000..

Can anyone explain what differences I'll really notice by upgrading my sub? I've reran audyssey last night and to me, the subwoofer sounds good. I'm just wondering what I'm missing :)

Mr Wolf

Maybe a couple of other daft questions.

Monolith 15, or dual Svs Pb1000? Or even dual PB2000..

Can anyone explain what differences I'll really notice by upgrading my sub? I've reran audyssey last night and to me, the subwoofer sounds good. I'm just wondering what I'm missing :)
Out of those options I would personally go dual PB-2000, unless I was prepard to go dual Mono 15s at some point. I would not be happy with a single sub set-up.

You’re aiming for smooth dynamic bass (with no bloaty boom) that feels like it’s all around you. I‘ve only achieved this recently after moving to a dual sub set-up.

Have you modelled your room in REW’s RoomSim? If not, do it and it will predict the frequency response you’ll get from different subs in different locations.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett