Subwoofer upgrade advice

markb1980

Hi all,

I currently have Q Acoustics 7000i speaker package and also Cambridge Audio minx min 12’s for front heights and the Q Acoustics 7070si sub and would like to upgrade the sub. I am happy with the speakers and due to my living area they are perfect for the space. The other problem is I am limited on where I can place the sub so again it needs to be similar sized to the 7070si. I have done a bit of research and the candidates seem to be either BK Gemini 2 or the BK double Gem. I am just wondering if this would be a decent upgrade to my current sub and would either of these work well with my Q Acoustics? Also out of the two is one better than than the other out of the Gemini 2 and double Gem?

Below is my set up and where the sub currently is and the new one would need to go really.

Any advise would be great.
F6AF032E-FE36-4A4C-AB55-579855C69E74.jpeg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Are you 100% sure you can´t move the sub in front corner, you can turn it different way (depth becomes width) if that helps?! Tiny sub like that should be placed in front corner to get bit more grunt, you also seem to have good sub eq with Denon.

If wife blocks that move / there just isn´t any space then BK Double Gem from your options would be better choice due to growing cabinet size considerably, dual 10" drivers and doubling the power. Good step up from slim 8" woofer. Still worried how good/bad the placement is.

If front wall/corner is no go, what about rear of room by the couch (Double Gem)?

markb1980

Are you 100% sure you can´t move the sub in front corner, you can turn it different way (depth becomes width) if that helps?! Tiny sub like that should be placed in front corner to get bit more grunt, you also seem to have good sub eq with Denon.

If wife blocks that move / there just isn´t any space then BK Double Gem from your options would be better choice due to growing cabinet size considerably, dual 10" drivers and doubling the power. Good step up from slim 8" woofer. Still worried how good/bad the placement is.

If front wall/corner is no go, what about rear of room by the couch (Double Gem)?

Thank you for the advice. Ok so the front corner that is not pictured which is the other end of the tv cabinet is against the side wall of the house so that is not an option. What about if I placed it the other end in the corner behind the cuddle chair that is pictured ( take the lamp out)? I didn’t know if that would be too far away from my MLP and the rest of the speakers? There is no space behind the sofa directly as that’s against another wall.

The only other place could be the far rear corner of the room near the exit to the kitchen again not sure if too far away. See floor plan of my living room... red dots are potential places for a sub.

Excuse the mock up it’s hard on an iPhone 😂

98DBFB84-C8E0-46ED-AE83-B000F45D28CC.jpeg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Forgot you had the tiny Q7000i satellite speakers. I think the sub would locate too easily if moved so far away as it has to play higher to support the 7000s. It`s always tricky when you have limited positions for the sub.

What you feel is missing now with Q7070Si? Have you tried to boost the sub gain either behind the sub or from Denon menu "Subwoofer level" or source specifically "subwoofer adjust" ? Audussey sets the bass quite low typically. If you listen at low to moderate volume levels you should have Audussey Dynamic EQ "On". Make sure you have Audussey LFC turned Off , cause that will totally kill your subwoofer.

markb1980

Forgot you had the tiny Q7000i satellite speakers. I think the sub would locate too easily if moved so far away as it has to play higher to support the 7000s. It`s always tricky when you have limited positions for the sub.

What you feel is missing now with Q7070Si? Have you tried to boost the sub gain either behind the sub or from Denon menu "Subwoofer level" or source specifically "subwoofer adjust" ? Audussey sets the bass quite low typically. If you listen at low to moderate volume levels you should have Audussey Dynamic EQ "On". Make sure you have Audussey LFC turned Off , cause that will totally kill your subwoofer.

Yeah it’s not designed for theatre room it’s everyday living room so just trying to get the best out of what I have really. It’s not like I am unhappy with the current sub just feel like an upgrade with a bit more bass that I can feel. I just feel I could get slightly better than the 7070 sub and still fit in with my space I guess and looking at the size and specs the BK double gem looks like it would fit in and give me a bit more?

I have adjusted everything via Audyssey, boosted the sub by 3db via the AVR and have dynamic eq on with the rest turned off etc.

I started using the Audyssey app and seen how poor the graph looked on the sub this also made me think.

C49FBF51-484D-4D9D-9347-65C1F6F1D129.jpeg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes for sure Double Gem will be step up from QA. @WozzaB had the QA 7070Si, then BK Gemini II, then XLS200 which all were better. So the Double Gem should be ideal as there isn´t any similar low width woofers. Owners seems to be happy with it, there is few at AVF.

Couple in-room pictures to give you better idea how it looks:

20200123_170142-jpg.1291432

20200123_170159-jpg.1291433

20200706_140609_hdr-jpg.1329961

20200706_140642_hdr-jpg.1329962

gem-jpg.1110377

markb1980

Brilliant thank you for your help and the pictures. I will double check all the measurements and then make a decision.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Brilliant thank you for your help and the pictures. I will double check all the measurements and then make a decision.

Personally i would only consider XLS200 or Double Gem. But with the small price difference Double Gem would be easily worth it and better for movies which BK has already confirmed! You really want the biggest change possible when upgrading. If you decide to order it call BK first and ask do they have some finishes ready or do they need to build one for you. That is if you hate waiting.

markb1980

Personally i would only consider XLS200 or Double Gem. But with the small price difference Double Gem would be easily worth it and better for movies which BK has already confirmed! You really want the biggest change possible when upgrading. If you decide to order it call BK first and ask do they have some finishes ready or do they need to build one for you. That is if you hate waiting.

Yes I agree that looks like the two to consider. I didn’t think the XLS200 would fit but actually the DF one is narrower so might squeeze in. I have no idea which is better DF or FF mind?! Any advice on that if I decided to go for the XLS200?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes I agree that looks like the two to consider. I didn’t think the XLS200 would fit but actually the DF one is narrower so might squeeze in. I have no idea which is better DF or FF mind?! Any advice on that if I decided to go for the XLS200?

Please don´t. You regret it later. You get larger cabinet volume and driver area of 14,1" vs. 10" with the XLS200. Also auto on/off feature. All this for 30£ extra! If you can fit the tall one, don´t think twice.

Performance is same on both FF/DF driver orientation. More about question of looks / dimensions.

Jester1066

+1 for the BK Double Gem. Will work well in your setup/room and is a definite upgrade on the QA sub. It's also a lot of sub for the money too. I'd also take it over the XLS200. In fact I'd rather go dual sub with the Double Gem - which can also be positioned horizontally by the way. 😉

markb1980

Brilliant, this was why I asked on here. Thank you for the advice looks like the double gem it is. Will give them a call and see what the lead times are after double checking the measurements later. Will update if I go ahead and let you know what I think.

WozzaB

I had a couple of Q subs as @Gasp3621 said.
Definitely skip the Gem II as the guys mentioned, it was a nice little improvement over the Q7070si I had, but not massive, the XLS200 was a bigger upgrade from them both, but if you can fit the Double Gem then that's the way I'd go I think

markb1980

Just put an order in for a Ash Black Double Gem after speaking with Tom at BK 🤞

markb1980

It’s arrived 😊

Thank you for all the advice, much happier with this than the 7070si.

D7A92411-38B3-4E24-8277-868CC5B57218.jpeg

359E3F24-AA6D-488D-BDE7-0D4D792ACF56.jpeg

markb1980

Yeah all good happy with how it sounds and re-ran Audyssey boosted the sub by 3db after running which I always do. I am only using Low input so just turned frequency range to 120hz, turned the filter one to LFE out and the gain was sat around 10 11 o clock and phase 0?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yeah all good happy with how it sounds and re-ran Audyssey boosted the sub by 3db after running which I always do. I am only using Low input so just turned frequency range to 120hz, turned the filter one to LFE out and the gain was sat around 10 11 o clock and phase 0?

All good then, enjoy! 👌

markb1980

Jester1066

All sounds set up correctly to me mate. Hope you enjoy the improvement to your sound 🙂

markb1980

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021