Subwoofer upgrade advice please (or AVR?) for large room

dipsettt

Standard Member
I think the 83db is too high, usually 78-80db via the on-screen is spot on (do 3mic positions) and then check subwoofer level. If it´s -12db it´s out of range, the gain is too high. So rather aim for 78db and then tweak the subwoofer level lower. Example it comes back -8db then change to -4db which should be plenty.

Sell the T9i (classifieds, gumtree,ebay), do not use it with Monolith. It´s bad idea cause it can´t keep up and there is going to be some phase issues. Conrad just wrote abou this.
Thanks Gasp. I’ll give it a go next weekend if I get a chance. I had to rush the setup so I’ll try nudging the gain down and check the subwoofer level.
And I agree on the REL....it needs to go.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Thanks for commenting about your Mono 15" Dipsett.

We have 12" and 15" still available from our last batch if you could be tempted!! Hehe.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
At about 7300CuFt this is obviously a very large space to pressurise with bass. If you haven't seen it, you might find Audioholics' subwoofer "Bassaholic" room size ratings useful as a guide to the type of output you're looking for. AH class anything over 5000CuFt as an "Extreme" room. While AH haven't tested an Arendal 1723 1V, they did test a SVS PB-3000 and it got an "Extreme" room rating in ported mode.

Bassaholic Subwoofer Room Size Rating Protocol

I was also looking for a pair of new subs recently (£3k max total budget) and last week pulled the trigger on a pair of PB-3000s which hopefully should arrive today. As part of my research I tabulated some CEA2010 test data for the Arendal 1723 1V, SVS PB-2000 Pro and SVS PB-3000 as they were all on my shortlist. Here it is:

View attachment 1473752
I considered the most critical output range for me was probably 20Hz-63Hz and in this area the Arendal was (to my surprise) outgunned by the cheaper PB-2000 Pro.

Obviously there's far more to it than these stats but, depending on your listening levels, as your area is so large the SPL output probably needs to be a priority consideration to avoid disappointment (which unfortunately is something I've experienced before by under-speccing a sub purchase).

Anyway, I hope this helps with your decision making.
where does a monolith 15 numbers fit in here?

Mr Wolf

Audioholics tested the Monolith THX 15“ a while ago and its results are in their spreadsheet that you can download. Unsurprisingly it gets an “Extreme” room rating.

CBA1827A-6832-4D6E-B6D6-4318E197E801.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom