• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Subwoofer Tweaks.

stevefish69

Has anyone got any additional ideas for general tweaks for my Kef PSW 2010.

It currently sits on a slab of 1" thick marble which is coupled to the floor by a set of 3 large Michell Tenderfeet with the aid of some bluetack.

http://cgi.trichord.force9.co.uk/acatalog/Michell__Tenderfeet__Cones.html

The Sub is connected via a Monsterbass 400 Subcable with Y-splitter.
Position and Levels are all set correctly, although maybe a couple of db hot.

The sound is overall spot on, but i just wondered if anyone knows how to squeeze every ounce of bass possible. I've heard that sealing the inside joints with silicon may tighten it up further.

eviljohn2

You could try the sub with the marble block on top.

Sealing the inside joins may help improve the sound, as may adding additional battens to strengthen the cabinet. If you do take it apart then it may well void your warranty and be sure to reseal the amplifier plate when you reattach it.

You could add a BFD and equalise the output, also double check the amplifier bass management settings - the recommended settings can often be improved to your taste with a few tweaks. :)

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Have you done a frequency sweep with an SPL meter. Might be worth doing this before investing in a BFD as it will show up room/position issues.

Mylo

Distinguished Member
As John is hinting, doing my party trick on a sub is not really advisable unless all other methods fail. Before ripping apart a sub you need to feed some heavy bass through it and then check for any air leakage from the cabinet. Be warned this is not good for your hearing, I used ear plugs. Cabinet bracing requires drilling and screwing through the outside of the cabinet, which will wreck any decorative finish, unless you own a decent sized glue gun and some high spec glue sticks.

Nimby

Distinguished Member
I should think most modestly-sized subs operate at frequencies where intrusive panel resonance is unlikely. Place your fingertips on the panels during normal use to see how much vibration there is.

Or use a piece of batton or dowel between your ear and the sub panel as a solid stethoscope. Place one end of your monaural stethoscope against the sub panel. Then close your ear canal with your ear lobe and then place the stick end against your ear carefully. Watch out for marking any nice veneer finishes with the other end. I like the old hand-operated valve grinding stick with a sucker on each end for this job. :cool:

I used to use a candle or snuffed-out (but still smoking) fire-lighting spill to check for air leaks on home made speakers and subs. But you have to be very careful not to cause damage or burns! A reflex port will probably blow out the candle if you hit the right frequency for your port tuning.

Most commercial subs will probably be well-enough made that extra sealing is a total waste of time. Much greater gains will be made by getting the sub in the best position in the room and with the right orientation as heard (and SPL meter tested) from the hot seat.

Nimby

Attachments

• valve grinder.jpg
    valve grinder.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 36

MarkE19

The easier way to get the best out of your sub, rather than an SPL & BFD, is the new Velodyne SMS-1. More details on the SMS-1 can be found in This Thread.

Mark.

Nimby

Distinguished Member
MarkE19 said:
The easier way to get the best out of your sub, rather than an SPL & BFD, is the new Velodyne SMS-1. More details on the SMS-1 can be found in This Thread.

Mark.

$499 on planet USA? Any advance on a £700 UK price tag? £1000 (equivalent) in mainland Europe? £1350 (equivalent) in Scandinavia? That'll make a change then. :boring:

I wouldn't want to try one. My SVS might catch fire! :blush:

Nimby:rotfl:

MarkE19

And the down side of this is? :devil:

At least it will keep you warm while watching a DVD on these cold, dark nights :D

Mark.

p.s. expecting the normal $>£ exchange rate of 1:1 making the UK price of the SMS-1 around £450 :rolleyes:

MarkE19

OK, I'll be more Optimistic for Nimby:

His SVS WILL catch fire :devil:

There, is that any better? :laugh:

Mark.

R

recruit

Thats better Mark! the SVS will act like a chimney or an extra large Cigar but i wouldn't suggest trying to smoke it.... :laugh:

Ian J

Banned
MarkE19 said:
The easier way to get the best out of your sub, rather than an SPL & BFD, is the new Velodyne SMS-1.

I'm not sure that I agree in this case as I don't think that a £450 room EQ module is best suited to a sub that probably costs much less than that. In this case (and we are only talking theory) rather than buy the SMS-1 I would suggest that he invests the extra cash in a better sub to start with.

MarkE19

I thought it would be 'warmer' rather than 'brighter', but I may be wrong :zonked:

Mark.

MarkE19

Ian J said:
I'm not sure that I agree in this case as I don't think that a £450 room EQ module is best suited to a sub that probably costs much less than that. In this case (and we are only talking theory) rather than buy the SMS-1 I would suggest that he invests the extra cash in a better sub to start with.
I agree that a sub upgrade would be the best option, but I did say the easier way to get the best out of your sub. in other words 'easier than useing a BFD' due to the effort in setting it up, and the SMS-1 should get the best out of any sub. But yes I do see your point about spending £450 (if that is what it ends up costing) on a cheap sub may not be the best VFM. But then again you can use the SMS-1 with any future sub upgrades.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom