Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Subwoofer to go with B&W VM1's

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Oddbodd, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi all, I'm after some advice please. I am buying some VM1's soon but can't decide which sub. to get to go with them. A local hi-fi dealer has said they sell the speakers with a B&W ASW300 (as tested by Home cinema choice) for the same price as the standard AS1/VM1 package. The review in What hi-fi suggested an ASW600 and I've read a few posts where people are recommending the ASW675, so I can't make my mind up and would'nt mind a little help/input. I would prefer to keep the kit all the same make but this is not set in stone.
    I know I should really be auditioning these myself but unfortunatly I work Monday to Saturday and trying to find a dealer who could organise that on a Sunday is nigh on impossible.
    The set up will be mainly used for watching movies and I live in a detached bugalow, so no neighbours to worry about :D
    I must admit I don't have money to burn but if you guys think I should go for one of the more expensive ones I'll just save a little longer :(
    Cheers Oddbodd

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I would recommend the MJ Acoustics Reference 100 for only £350.

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    £315 if you ask nicely. :D

A BK Electronics XLS-200 would be a better sub for a lot less money if you can grab one of the few remaining (PM Dan Gleebles for details).

MuFu.

4. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got the Rel q150mk11 with mine and it sounds outstanding, though i would probally have auditioned a Mj offering first if there was a dealer in the county.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi OddBodd
    The B&Wasw675 would be a great sub to partner with your vm1s. I have owned this sub and for its size is a great performer with movies and music also dont discount the svs subs which can be ordered from the usa they are awsome subs worth every penny but they are rather large.
    PS stretch your budget as much as you can to get somthing that is going to last and keep you happy which i now am with my svs after many upgrades, in the end you will end up saving money not wasting it like me.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

6. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi all, thanks for your advice. I've decided to stick with B&W and get an ASW600. I agree the "675" is probably a better sub. but it's a bit more than I want to spend. I got a good price from a local Super-Fi shop, they should arrive next week so plenty of time to "run them in" before xmas :D
    Cheers Oddbodd