Subwoofer thump going to standby and wake up

ncraw

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve done a search and couldn’t find an answer and hoping someone would help me.I have a QAcoustics 5.1 system hooked up to a Sony strdn1080. I’m trying to resolve a few issues but the most annoying is the q acoustics 3070 sub (not the best sub I know) makes a really annoying thump/thud when it goes to standby if not signal and when it wakes up. Phase is set to zero, level to 50% and crossover to max (AV). I’ve set it up using the Sony microphone set up and when running sounds good. I’m using fairly thick RCA cable which was actually a video signal one (came as a triple video/audio L and R) and I separated the three.

I also noticed when it’s powered but no signal, there is a slight humming sound which is magnified when I touch the back of the sub (barefoot with timber floors).
Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to eliminate this or reduce it. It makes the Mrs and myself jump every time not knowing when it Happens.

many thanks.

Try connecting the RCA cable to the other input on the sub, see if that makes a difference......

If that doesn't work, try switching to a different RCA cable

Plenty of issues with that cheap 179£ woofer. :( No warranty anymore?

If you keep the power switch at "On" position (over Auto) it won´t go to sleep. Never used the Auto features. Not that big deal turning it Off end of day/when going longer trip etc., although there is lot of people who just keeps the sub on always.

Try connecting the RCA cable to the other input on the sub, see if that makes a difference......

If that doesn't work, try switching to a different RCA cable
Ok il give that a go though it’s marked as mono the current input

Plenty of issues with that cheap 179£ woofer. :( No warranty anymore?

If you keep the power switch at "On" position (over Auto) it won´t go to sleep. Never used the Auto features. Not that big deal turning it Off end of day/when going longer trip etc., although there is lot of people who just keeps the sub on always.
Correct but how much more energy is it using?
Yes at the time I should have done more research on the sub. The speakers are amazing but sub prob can do better. I mean I’m happy with it overall this is the only issue I have. When it’s on and no signal the hum is so low I have to be so close to it to hear it and I noticed while I touch the back the hum is significantly louder, it considerably drops if I put crossover to lowest (level doesn’t make a diff) and if I remove the rca cable. I’m thinking the hum got to do with earthing. But the thump is the annoying one.

Correct but how much more energy is it using?
Yes at the time I should have done more research on the sub. The speakers are amazing but sub prob can do better. I mean I’m happy with it overall this is the only issue I have. When it’s on and no signal the hum is so low I have to be so close to it to hear it and I noticed while I touch the back the hum is significantly louder, it considerably drops if I put crossover to lowest (level doesn’t make a diff) and if I remove the rca cable. I’m thinking the hum got to do with earthing. But the thump is the annoying one.

When in doubt contact the company directly. It takes few minutes to fill this form and describe them the both issues you are having. It´s very likely they offer new amp, but they may ask you to try few things.

You could try other wall socket for the power cable and turn the power switch to "On" for now so it won´t go to sleep. Just turn it off if that bothers you, i used to keep mostly on as i never remember to turn it off. The AV position is correct for crossover knob and most likely the subwoofer level at 12clock is fine assuming your subwoofer level isn´t maxed (-12db) in the receiver menu.

When in doubt contact the company directly. It takes few minutes to fill this form and describe them the both issues you are having. It´s very likely they offer new amp, but they may ask you to try few things.

You could try other wall socket for the power cable and turn the power switch to "On" for now so it won´t go to sleep. Just turn it off if that bothers you, i used to keep mostly on as i never remember to turn it off. The AV position is correct for crossover knob and most likely the subwoofer level at 12clock is fine assuming your subwoofer level isn´t maxed (-12db) in the receiver menu.
Im ashamed to admit that I bought the 5.1 5 years ago and only hooked it up last week!! Life got in the way big time. I will explain my case to them and see what they say. I tried another power point but same issue. The manual suggests having the level set to middle. I guess I can reduce it and let the AVR re-tune to get higher output from AVR but lower volume so less thump.

I guessed it was a Q sub going by the title!

They did have a lot of issues in 2015, so that would tie in with the age of your one. Have a look here for similar issues, crackling noises, popping/thud on wake up or not even waking up at all! https://www.avforums.com/threads/q-acoustics-3070s-sub-problem.1955402/

I know you've had it a long time, but you could still contact Q Acoustics and see if they can sort you out as they had a lot of issues with their subs in 2015, maybe you have an email invoice etc to show when it was bought, long shot but worth a try anyway.

I would do what @Gasp3621 suggested and switch it to On rather than Auto and just turn it off at the socket at night if you're worried about consumption.

I guessed it was a Q sub going by the title!

They did have a lot of issues in 2015, so that would tie in with the age of your one. Have a look here for similar issues, crackling noises, popping/thud on wake up or not even waking up at all! https://www.avforums.com/threads/q-acoustics-3070s-sub-problem.1955402/

I know you've had it a long time, but you could still contact Q Acoustics and see if they can sort you out as they had a lot of issues with their subs in 2015, maybe you have an email invoice etc to show when it was bought, long shot but worth a try anyway.

I would do what @Gasp3621 suggested and switch it to On rather than Auto and just turn it off at the socket at night if you're worried about consumption.
I contacted q acoustics last night Aus time and was amazed with their turnaround. They replied within 20 min with suggestions more questions which was quite impressive. One suggestion was to reverse the phase and see if that helps after a re-cal. They also asked about the frequency and decibels. I Think -10db may be an issue.
What I will do is first drop the level as I’ve seen on another post abd recal.
The tiny hum, which can only hear very close, is apparently normal. The thing I don’t like is the change to hum level whe I touch the back of the sub which tells me it’s not earthed or insulated properly. But I guess can’t expect too much from a relatively low price sub.
I will check the link you sent me and many thanks for that.

Good to hear they replied quickly. When you read the thread I linked, you'll see the thump was a common fault on a batch in 2015 and a lot of replacement subs were sent out, so you'll have to work around that particular issue by leaving it in the On position.

I'd be looking at upgrading it to be honest, when I replaced my Q sub with one from BK Electronics the whole system sounded better, and I was still using the 5 7000i speakers. But it depends what you're after from a sub, just a gentle bit of bass or sofa shaking stuff!

Yes shame I left it this long without testing. It seems my only solution is to turn level down and recalibrate then play with the gain. Dropping the level should make the thud lower or like u said leave it on or maybe reverse the phase. Do u know how much power use diff between stand by and on (not used)

Yes shame I left it this long without testing. It seems my only solution is to turn level down and recalibrate then play with the gain. Dropping the level should make the thud lower or like u said leave it on or maybe reverse the phase. Do u know how much power use diff between stand by and on (not used)
I didn't look into the difference in power consumption between different modes when I had my Q sub, but if you switch it off at night it shouldn't use much more juice than on Auto I wouldn't think.
I would have it set up to sound the best, then worry about the thump after as you can get around that easier with the On switch.

knew this would be q acoustics just from the thread title. I had one a few years ago and the thumping when coming out of standby was terrible, would literally make me jump up from the sofa. Q acoustics were useless at the time telling me i must have damaged it by playing too loud so i ended up selling it on for parts.

Its put me off any sub with an auto switch now. Id rather have one that just stays on

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom