Subwoofer Tests - Fall 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilkka R

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just completed my fall 2007 subwoofer tests. The following subwoofers (+ one speaker) were tested. The full results will be up when they are done.

Anthony Gallo TR-1
Audio Pro Level 110
BK XLS300/PR
BK Extreme
Gradient Evidence MKII
DIY CSS SDX15 sealed 100L
DIY CSS 2xSDX15 sealed 140L
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" sealed 100L
DIY TC Sounds LMS-5400 18" + 2x18" PR 200L
DIY Servo v2 (see. round 3)
JL Audio Fathom f113
SVS PB12-NSD
SVS PB13-Ultra (all four settings)
Velodyne SPL-1200 MKII
Yamaha YST-SW1500

Pictures!

Here are the results for the CEA-2010 standard I also used last time (round 4). I would recommend everyone to read this document regarding the standard. The CEA-2010 standard defines a new way for measuring and determining the clean maximum output level for a subwoofer. The signal used is a 6.5 cycle long sine burst which allows a safe measurement of the maximum output level. The max SPL is limited by the stepped distortion threshold (allows less distortion for higher harmonics) or the limitations/limiters of the subwoofer itself, which ever is reached first. The standard defines the max SPL normalized to 1 meter distance (half-space) and peak value of the sine burst, but I use the more familiar 2 meter distance and the RMS value of the sine burst. That way these figures are more comparable to the results measured by using the more common sine wave sweep/tone method.

The amplifier for all the DIY subwoofers (except the "DIY Servo v2") measured during round 5 was a Crown CE4000. The rated output at 4 ohms bridged is 3600 watts. With "DIY CSS 2xSDX15 sealed 140L" I used two of these amplifiers.

The "Gradient Evidence MK2" is a Finnish main speaker that I own (naturally a pair of them). I wanted to measure its bass performance because I haven't seen this kind of measurements done on speakers, even though their role in achieving well balanced sound system is absolutely critical. It is a 3-way speaker using a 6.5" coaxial driver and an 8" woofer in a ~35-40 liter ported enclosure. I used only one speaker during the measurements, but later on added 6 dB for the second speaker (assuming full coupling).

Below are the results for the newest (fall 2007/round 5) and the one prior to that (spring 2007/round 4) measurement session organized in "Low-bass Avg." (average of the 40-63 Hz values) column order.

cea-2010_rms_2m_round_4_and_5_low_bass.png

Below are the results for the newest (fall 2007/round 5) and the one prior to that (spring 2007/round 4) measurement session organized in "Ultra low-bass Avg." (average of the 20-31.5 Hz values) column order.

cea-2010_rms_2m_round_4_and_5_ultra_low_bass.png

Below are the results for the newest (fall 2007/round 5) and the one prior to that (spring 2007/round 4) measurement session organized in average of the 20-80 Hz order. I had to estimate the 20 Hz and 25 Hz values for the HSU MBM-12 and the Gradient Evidence MK2. I subtracted 9 dB from the 31.5 Hz and 18 dB from the 25 Hz values.

cea-2010_rms_2m_round_4_and_5_20-80.png

:D:D:D WoW, some serious looking kit there :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the results.

The Fathom looks awesome :smashin:

Can't wait to see the results. So there is a BK Extreme?? (although it looks like a Monolith to me) Guess we'll see what the results turn up and why's it n ot on sale over here or on the BK website?

Looking to buy a XLS300 to replace my Monolith but I could be persueded to buy something a Little bigger:devil:

Nigel

Can't wait to see the results. So there is a BK Extreme?? (although it looks like a Monolith to me) Guess we'll see what the results turn up and why's it n ot on sale over here or on the BK website?

Looking to buy a XLS300 to replace my Monolith but I could be persueded to buy something a Little bigger:devil:

Nigel

Nigel,

Why are you looking to buy an XLS300 to replace the Monolith?

Split up with my long term girlfriend so I've got to find somewhere else to live. I've sold pretty much all my AV equipment and when I move into my new place I will be buying all new gear.

I was thinking of the BK HC1 speakers partnered with the BK XLS300 to keep size to the minimum without to much loss in ultimate extension. I often get bored and upgraded just to have the next latest toy so a Onkyo 705 amp and 1080p projector are all on the list as well.

Cheers

Nigel

No worries.

I was just a bit confused at you saying you'd change to the XLS300 but could be tempted to go for something bigger?

All the best with the other shopping btw!

Does anyone know the dimensions of the BK Extreme?
Cabinet: 120 Litre ported and tuned to 17Hz. Very well braced into 4
compartments with holes to link each chamber.

Size:430D x 645H x 560W

Weight:52kg

Can't wait to see the results. So there is a BK Extreme?? (although it looks like a Monolith to me)
It looks a lot like the Monolith, but it's somewhat larger. Hard to notice unless placed side to side.

Guess we'll see what the results turn up and why's it n ot on sale over here or on the BK website?
Because it's not yet unveiled. The unit I tested was the first and the only one produced thus far.

The first post in this thread now contains the CEA-2010 standard results. Notice that these are NOT the full results yet. Full results (frequency response, power compression sweeps, distortion, group delay, spectral contimination etc.) will follow after I have processed them.

Wow! That should be helpful to a lot of people.

Picture's link isn't working btw :)

Some of you may wonder the absence of the SVS PB13-Ultra. I was supposed to test it too, but unfortunately SVS/L-Sound wasn't able to provide it in time. It's still on its way and it's uncertain whether I will be able to test it this fall due to bad weather.

Thankyou very much Ilkka.

You give real AV fans the chance to cut through the hype and the BS to see exactly how well subwoofers perform in real life. Your tests are a valuable aid to subwoofer purchase and will (hopefully) push the manufacturers to design better products in order to compete. Which is good for all of us.

The DIY designs are really pushing the commercial products aside for the moment. Though usually at the cost of far greater size. I hope the manufacturers are taking your hierarchy seriously and working hard to place themselves higher on your ladder. Your tests are discussed worldwide and are an unbiased buyer's guide to those in the market for a better subwoofer.

Keep up the good work. :smashin:

Thanks for the results, makes a very interesting read.

I was very impressed with the performance of the JL Audio f113. How much do they retail for?

Must say that the BK Extreme looks very disappointing:(. I couldn't see any real performance gain over the Momolith especially on low bass where I thought the lower tuning point and larger cabinet would produce a few more Hz's and DB's

Nigel

The Xtreme is quite close to the performance level of the SVS 20-39Plus.
That is a useful increase in performance over the Monolith.

Thanks a lot for this Ilkka, much appreciated as always. :smashin:

I have to agree with the initial results of the extreme, it certainly doesn't show much advantage over the Monolith in SPL at least. I was hoping for a PB12+ beater but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. Hopefully the full picture will be revealed soon as it isn't all about SPL now is it? ;)

Adam

It's early days. There may be room for a few more dB to be squeezed out of the Xtreme. I would expect the Xtreme's distortion figures to be lower than the Monolith's. Perhaps it needs to be slightly bigger to maximise the bottom end?
The f113's is a remarkable performance. What a shame SVS couldn't get the Ultra13 there in time! Still, Norway is quite close to Finland so there's hope for the next spring tests. ;)

I would expect the Xtreme's distortion figures to be lower than the Monolith's.
This is what I am guessing too but as you say we only have a fraction of the picture at the moment. The curves themselves will also be more revealing :)

Adam

I missed the images the first time round, that Fathom is TINY! I can't believe the performance, lets home the distortion and RRP aren't prohibitive! On sexy little subwoofer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom