1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer switching to Standby

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jimmyfireblade, May 20, 2005.

1. jimmyfireblade

jimmyfireblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas why my subwoofer switches to standby, even whilst watching TV / DVD's etc.

I have an Eltax Thunder 10 connected to an Eltax AVR-800 Amp.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think the way the standby facility works is that if the sub doesn't receive a signal in a set timespan it goes into standby. Presumanbly some TV progs and DVDs don't have much in the way of low end hence the sub goes to sleep.

Presumably it wakes up again after a while?

The more I read about these auto on/off facilities the more I'm pleased the BK doesn't employ one...PJ :)

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Even if it gets a signal from the amp its got to be loud enough to activate the auto on.Turn it off if you can ,if you can't try turning the sub output up on the av amp and the gain down on the sub.

4. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    My old Jamo E8 subwoofer had auto standby that played up such that it never seemed to be switched on. The only way I could solve this was to buy a Y-splitter and 'bump' a signal into both the left and right line level inputs. This solved the problem, though didn't improve the sub, hence I've now moved on to a BK.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the reason gravy's idea works sometimes is some subs have a 6db gain if they recieve the signal through both channels.

my ms308 is connected by one cable (has facility for 2) and even through Sideways, the sub stayed on all the way through, never had a prob with the auto off.

6. jimmyfireblade

jimmyfireblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have a single phono type cable connected to the sub-out on the amp and (funnily enough) to the sub-in on the sub.

I don't understand how a y-splitter can help in this config - or am i being daft?

I have turned the AV Amp levels for the sub to max, but still no difference.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    as i said there is a 6db gain in the signal when using both the left and the right inputs on the sub, i.e. its louder, so the sub may well notice the signal more and stop switching off.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Some subwoofers have two inputs ,by joining these together with a splitter you get more gain into the sub to wake it up better.
    If you can't turn the auto on/off off and the amps sub out is turn up full there is little you can do to solve the matter.
    I had i velo vx10 that had this problem i had to turn the sub out full up and use a splitter to make it work at the volumes i listen at.

9. jimmyfireblade

jimmyfireblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys

After trying all your suggestions I think I finally sussed it.

I turned the gain on the AV Amp onto maximum but this still didn't sort it, so I decided to have a play with the speaker levels (again).

By setting the speaker levels to small (for surround, Centre & Front speakers) this diverts all frequencies lower than 90Hz to the sub - thus stopping it from switching to standby.

Thanks for all your efforts!!!!

:thumbsup:

10. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got it sorted.

As you found out, if the front speakers are set as 'large', they're used to handle the bass ouput, and so the subwoofer gets very little or NO input at all.

What do you think to the sub? I've had mine for years, but it's served its purpose in the home, and since my last upgrade to the B&W's it's found a new home in the boot of my car :D

11. jimmyfireblade

jimmyfireblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [
    What do you think to the sub? I've had mine for years, but it's served its purpose in the home, and since my last upgrade to the B&W's it's found a new home in the boot of my car :D[/QUOTE

I like the sub - at least i did until it started playing up! I probably won't change it for a while - then I'll go the whole hog and replace everything in one go!

Thanks for your help.