Subwoofer suggestion

Nigio

Novice Member
Reaction score
Which pair of sealed subwoofers (small size) do you recommend for an apartment?
Listening area 15 sqm. Total area ( living room -dinning room -kitchen 31sqm).
Budget 1500-1800 euros.

My choices until now are :
2 x Arendal 1961 1s.
2 x SVS 3000 micro.

Use is 60% movies, 40% music.

You could add the SB2000 Pro in the list too as it´s more similar to 1961 1S and better for movies than the 3000 Micro purely performance wise as is Arendal, but you also live in apartment so perhaps not that important. Hopefully you don´t have neighbours below you. As for SVS vs. Arendal i think the decision could come down to dimensions, is the right side firing driver ok (needs 5-10cm clearance), which finish is better, how much the app support weights etc. Both are clearly quality products which similar performance so you need to weight other things. Same 5 year amp warranty and great support/service with both companies so can´t go wrong with either one. 3000 Micro only if the size will be deciding factor. You can make cardboard mock up to see how they would look in room.

Thanks for the advice. There are neighboors below me,so I don't care too much for frequencies 20-25 hz because in these frequencies are the most annoying for nearby appartments. I had a pb2000 pro and sold it for that reason.

At this time I have a pair of prime bookshelves and center for frontstage, but I'm not fully satisfied.(It is budget speakers).So my next dilemma is moving from them to 1961 monitor/center or to ultra bookshelves/center. This decision will maybe define which subwoofer option is the best, considering the brand matching.

We had a little back-to-back time with a 3000Micro and a SB2000 Pro and they were quite interesting to compare.

They were pretty similar in power / volume levels for general listening, but as you have noted the 2000's dug deeper and were more suited to movie listening. The 3000Micro is an impressive little thing, certainly has the power, anyone should be pleased with it for its price point, but for us it is more of lifestyle / music sub because of its lack of extension beyond that 25hz range with the 2000Pro being a similar price point.

However, that would make it perfect for your application Nigio.

Thanks for the advice. There are neighboors below me,so I don't care too much for frequencies 20-25 hz because in these frequencies are the most annoying for nearby appartments. I had a pb2000 pro and sold it for that reason.

At this time I have a pair of prime bookshelves and center for frontstage, but I'm not fully satisfied.(It is budget speakers).So my next dilemma is moving from them to 1961 monitor/center or to ultra bookshelves/center. This decision will maybe define which subwoofer option is the best, considering the brand matching.

You would likely be very fine even with two SB1000 Pro´s if you feel the bass is transfered very easily to neighbours and especially as you have them below you which is not good. I used subwoofer as nearfield by the couch in apartment (1st floor though), didn´t have to run it so hot and still got good impact without bothering neighbours too much. This is quite popular trick for apartment use. As you have open space it will be intresting where the subs are best placed and with this in mind something good looking and small will surely help if you need to sell different type placement for wife. I mean if she thinks that the two cute boxes go at front wall aestetically pleasing way, but is that second sub then contributing smoothing the response.. Not necessarily.

Could you consider the 1723 S Bookshelf with 1723 S Centre? It would be more in line with SVS Ultra and someone here found the Arendal 1723 better. Was it @Quorra who had Ultras earlier? Also in youtube video review (ThaVillaMan?) Arendal was prefered over the Ultras. Notice the 1961 Monitor and Centre are not "full size" speakers, but the smaller size is likely more wife friendly in apartment living room.

Naturally you don´t need to match the sub & speakers, but if you feel same finish is required then of course..

You would likely be very fine even with two SB1000 Pro´s if you feel the bass is transfered very easily to neighbours and especially as you have them below you which is not good. I used subwoofer as nearfield by the couch in apartment (1st floor though), didn´t have to run it so hot and still got good impact without bothering neighbours too much. This is quite popular trick for apartment use. As you have open space it will be intresting where the subs are best placed and with this in mind something good looking and small will surely help if you need to sell different type placement for wife. I mean if she thinks that the two cute boxes go at front wall aestetically pleasing way, but is that second sub then contributing smoothing the response.. Not necessarily.

Could you consider the 1723 S Bookshelf with 1723 S Centre? It would be more in line with SVS Ultra and someone here found the Arendal 1723 better. Was it @Quorra who had Ultras earlier? Also in youtube video review (ThaVillaMan?) Arendal was prefered over the Ultras. Notice the 1961 Monitor and Centre are not "full size" speakers, but the smaller size is likely more wife friendly in apartment living room.

Naturally you don´t need to match the sub & speakers, but if you feel same finish is required then of course..

Yea I had full SVS ultra setup with towers etc. I do like the Arendals more.

I have a small space 15 sqm listening area. I am sitting 2.5m away from the the front speakers. Don't you think that 1723s are a little overkill?

I have a small space 15 sqm listening area. I am sitting 2.5m away from the the front speakers. Don't you think that 1723s are a little overkill?

Nope, at least not the Bookshelf version i mentioned. :) Fairly similar to SVS Ultra & Centre, although the Bookshelf S is sealed by design and you can seal the center channel ports aswell. Quite many Arendal owners actually runs them sealed.

Here is a photo of my listening area in order to define if the 1723s are proper for the room.
1624638201325.png

Here is a photo of my listening area in order to define if the 1723s are proper for the room.View attachment 1533206

Why they wouldn´t be i mean the front three at least i would buy from their better range?! They are about same size as Ultra Bookshelfs i can imagine, Arendal site is down for maintenance so can´t check.
The 1723 S Center channel is larger so measure will it fit below tv.

Arendal 1723 S Centre: 24.5 x 56.9 x 32.0mm (HxWxD)

SVS Ultra Centre: 20.8 x 55.9 x 27.7 cm (HxWxD)

Here is 1723 S Bookshelf with some other brand center channel. Also two 1961 1S subwoofers so you get good idea of the size in room. Just looks decent sized standmount speakers with 6,5" drivers, nothing special really. The 1723 S Monitor is large and may not suit as easily for living room.

1-jpg.1295339

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom