Question Subwoofer suddenly popping constantly

Blagmeister

Gah! I think my sub has just died! It just started popping repeatedly - won’t stop- even without the RCA cable in. I assume it’s a loose connection or a capacitor has gone. It’s a Monitor Audio W10 from a Bronze BX 5.1 - about 10 years old. Can these things be economically repaired? Where would I go for that?

If not, what would anyone recommend as a replacement that’s a good match for the Monitor Audio Bronze BX Speakers - amp is a Denon X3400h.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
If you are handy guy then perhaps @dobrykamil has some information about repairing. New amp is rather expensive from MA, at that point you might aswell look for an upgrade depending of your budget. That would be in the 400-500£ range though, BK Electronics (P12/XXLS400 etc) and SVS (SB/PB1000).

This KLH model is probably your best bet if tight budget. It should be step up from BX W10. American Audio if forum advertiser and has it basically half the price.

But let`s see what the subwoofer doctor Dobrykamil says first.

dobrykamil

BXW10 has this common issue like constant popping or white noise. Usually repair is around £60-70. It’s a class D amp type and some components get quite hot.

Blagmeister

Thanks for the response. Not sure how to define handy. I can build a PC but no idea about circuitry. Have always thought the sub was the weak link in my speakers so it might be time for a change.
A quick search has already led me to the SVS (SB/PB1000) (need to work out what the difference is between the two).

Never heard of the KLH - but if it’s equivalent to the SVS at that price it’s a steal! Will look into it.

dobrykamil

If your sub is in decent condition, then I migh be interested in buying it if you want to make a room for a new sub.

Blagmeister

If your sub is in decent condition, then I migh be interested in buying it if you want to make a room for a new sub.
Thank you. A repair for 50/60 would be worth it but surely postage would add to that considerably? And where and to whom would I send it?

The offer to buy it as is could be a possibility. DM me an offer?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom