subwoofer style

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mattski73, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mattski73

mattski73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i have a bang and olusen system and i'm wondering if anyone could point out a subwoofer that fits in with the band and olufsen style.

the B&O subwoofer sounded strained at bass. i used to have 2 REL subwoofers so i'm lokking for some real thump, with stylish looks.

thanks!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Would a gloss black finish be acceptable? Many makes provide this such as Velodyne, SVS etc. The Rel R-505 looks quite modern but perhaps a bit over designed. It is all so personal :D

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  5. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Sounds like some serious money needs to be spent... I saw some weird crome tripod sub gizmo once but I can't rememeber what it was called... still it wasn't all that B&O tbh :)

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,297
    Would Dynaudio's current favourite the PV1 be suitable here? I've never heard one though.

7. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    That has plenty of style over substance for an inflated price. Should suit nicely.

Russell

8. Dynaudio Desire

Dynaudio Desire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I personally would think if he had 2 Rel's a PV1 is not going to be in the same league. I would suggest a SVS PC cylinder if you can get your hands on one?!

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I am not sure a furry dustbin is going to look all that great with B&O kit (no offence to furry dustbin owners :D )

10. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    No offence taken, We all love our furry Bin :D

11. mattski73

mattski73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i was looking for something to go with the beolab 6000's

i wanted to get away from the traditional square boxes, that's why i've stayed away from REL this time.

the PV! is right on the bal as is the, SVS PC cylinder.

what's wrong with the PV1?

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Where shall I start? You know that spherical sub in your B&O link? Well it looks like that, performs like that and probably costs even more than that one despite B&O's complete lack of parity with VFM over the past several centuries.

You might have deserved an SVS cylinder wrapped in a wallpaper of your own choosing in the post-modern stylistic sense.
    But you can't have one! So there! :devil:

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Nothing is wrong it is just a lifestyle choice rather than performance. A similiarly priced Box (or tube) would easily outperform it.

If you like the SVS tubes, try and get a PC Ultra, probably costs less than the 'kicked in football' and would laugh in its diminutive face* :)

The tubes are on the large size and if it was me I would prefer to remove the sock and have a nice solid surround like erm stainless steel or brushed aluminium :rotfl: TBH it would probably not be that difficult to do :rolleyes:

(*FLAME PROOF DISCLAIMER: This just speculation of course but based on reports from forum members who have heard it and compared it to the 'lesser' SVS Plus driver.)

14. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    The problem is getting hold of an SVS cylinder these days.

The roll of brushed aluminium or even the rather more Scandinavian modern: Galvanised steel! is very B&O! The aluminium would be lighter and easier to roll round the tube and could be held in place fairly easily.

Rusty steel is even more popular than galvanised steel in Denmark now for interior decoration. I kid you not! They call it "recycled art". Suit yourselves. :)

Stainless steel in a ~4´square ready for wrapping round your virtual SVS cylinder would weigh an absolute ton unless it was paper thin! Cost a bob or two, too and need to be cut exactly to size by the vendor. Then you'd need a neat way of fixing it to the cylinder. Great idea, but not really practical I don't think but just imagine the look if it was done well with virgin, brushed stainless sheet steel! :cool:

15. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I think most suppliers who fabricate would be able to pre-roll or bend it and allow a kinked overlap so you can screw it together. The join would be at the back so no biggy...

Making the steel thin would be easy, I have a pedal bin in stainless so it can't be that hard.

Wouldn't cost that much either, just a case of getting the measurements exact ;)

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    What can be achieved in a mass production facility isn't the same as making a one-off. The problem is not so much getting it guillotined and edge jointed but of doing it all without damage to the visible surface. I imagine stainless steel would improve the deadness of the tube by increasing the mass and stiffening. A drop-over finished tube would probably be easiest with short legs to hold it at the correct height from the floor without needing to be fixed to the cylinder itself.

17. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I think you underestimate the inginuity of the independant fabricator ;)

...of course finding someone willing to conform to your whims for a reasonable amount of money, may be slightly more difficult :D

18. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I have Stainless steel of all sizes and shapes fabricated to our exact requirements at work. I could easily give the name and number of a supplier who would be able to give a good quality job for a good price. All i need is a manufacturing picture e.mailed to get a price, so if anyone is interested.

What about mirror finished Stainless. Now that would look nice and be very SWMBO friendly :thumbsup:

It may be even easier to have the SS bonded to the tube exterior instead of having fixings, but of course this would be permanent.

I'm still gonna stick to my Furry Bin. It's easier to clean !!

19. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
  20. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    ...or just get an in-floor or in-wall one?

21. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Well I’ve heard of HiFi snobbery but Subwoofer snobbery is a new one on me?

The B&W PV1 subwoofer has achieved Best Buy status is virtually every Home Cinema/HiFi magazine (and not just the rags such as What HiFi) and yet some people seem to have an almost vitriolic hatred of what I consider to be a very fine sub. Patently anyone who says it sounds like a B&O product has heard neither! I hate to think what these people would make of the Wilson Benesch Tourus?

Obviously it is not able to move the same amount of air as a humongous great square box with 15" drivers, but then again not everyone wants to loosen their filings while watching a movie.

22. mattski73

mattski73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i've seen the martin logan sub before, nice to go with the B&O penta's but i was looking for something more along the lines of the PV1 or something with a silver finish.

Thanks for all your suggestions though

23. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I certainly don't have any hatred for PV1s, they are an unusual, compact and an attractive design (despite my jokes about kicked in footballs). When they first came out I was tempted myself but as with any radical design these things tend to date pretty quick, I avoided such fashion issues by plumping for a big ugly box that will stay ugly however interior design trends change :)

The OP stated
    and from the reviews I have read there are subs that will perform far better for less money, of course they usually fall into the 'humongous great square box with 15" drivers' category as you suggest. It is horses for courses but for an unusual subwoofer design the PC Ultra would still be my recommendation over the PV1. (if you can accomodate one!)

24. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about O'hEocha Design ?

Apart from their spectacular stereo D2 / Saturn speakers (as featured in "Men In Black"), they do a range of unique subwoofers, constructed from aerospace grade Aluminium towers.

No mass production here :- each unit is hand-crafted in Galway (west of Ireland).

I didn't want to get an "industrial" looking unit which had to be hidden away, nor did I want an "all style and no substance unit" - so I got (and am delighted with) my O'hEocha DSW 600.

It's definitely high on WAF :- not small / discreet (or hidden) . . . but is like a sculpture, which deserves to be on display (no arguments at home about this !).

The "i" models (DSW 1000i and DSW 600i) share an isobaric design, resulting in greater depth and SPL.

I have a non-isobaric unit :- the DSW600 :- and am delighted (it uses a customised version of the BK Electronics OEM 200W bass module, with an 11" driver, housed in their aluminium tower) . With the sort of performance you're looking for, I suggest you look at the isobaric units.

Website link for DSW600i is below :-
    http://www.oheocha.com/index.php?g=products&p=22

The taller DSW1000i is below :-
    http://www.oheocha.com/index.php?g=products&p=19
    http://www.oheocha.com/image.php?i=/upload/thumbnails/060413_949.jpg

The lower DSW300 (non-isobaric) is below :-
    http://www.oheocha.com/index.php?g=products&p=21

I'd have thought their aluminium tower style would make them an excellent match for a B&O system :- as requested by the original poster.

HTH

25. Dynaudio Desire

Dynaudio Desire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Just to add to the PV1 story, it would be helpful that if you havnt heard one dont comment on its peformance. I continuously got told off for commenting on equipment I had not heard. I find it slightly hypocritical that people who have never heard it comment on it.

Anyway mattski73, have you considered the Beolab 2 Subwoofer from B&O?? I would imagine its on the very pricey side though but looks damn cool!

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/product.asp?section=systems&sub=ls&prodid=282

26. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    It wouldn't hurt a child. :devil:

27. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Hang out here more often then. There's plenty to spare.

Personally, I think the PV-1 is a marvel of design. But it's size is it's compromise, just like the asthetics of a big box sub is another, or running two sets of sub cables around a room. To each their own.

I had a multi magazine award winning MJ Ref 200. I'd struggle to recommend that for it's price too. Knowing what I know now.

Russell

28. hypocentre

hypocentre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a white PV1 matched to my BL8000 loudspeakers and I am more than happy with its performance and looks. It isnt even turned up halfway. Perfect match for your BL6000 IMHO

29. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Sorry, Nimby, absolute balls (spherical ones at that!).

As a B&O fanatic, even i'm happy to say that i believe the Beolab 2 to be a complete and utter pile of poo. It is a nasty, boomy, thumpy little box with an appalling lack of timing and i wouldn't have one in my lounge on the end of my B&O system if you paid me.

IMHO the PV1 would be an excellent match for B&O speakers, both visually and performance wise and am still wondering whether to buy one myself one day, as the wife keeps making sublte comments about the relative lack of loveliness of my MS909!

Mattski73,
    As well as the PV1 and the offerings from O'heocha, have you considered the Crane Audio Submariner? -

http://www.craneaudio.com/speakers/subwoofers.asp

P.S.- Having just re-read what i wrote above about the Beolab 2, if you like RELs. surely it would fit the bill nicely.........;) :devil:

30. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Meeeow! :devil: