Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Subwoofer Stone Slabs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jasonjo, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Hi,

For those looking for more professional stone slabs for subwoofer or speaker stands, check out the following site:

www.garrickstone.com

I used them to make me some perfect fit/discrete stone slabs for my front Mission 782 floorstanders to isolate them and protect my wooden laminate floor. I have also just ordered a subwoofer plinth for my REL, to match.

Dont always go by the prices on the website, give them a call...

As an example, my front slabs cost £70 for the pair and the sub slab cost £45 (matt finish light grey marble with protective rubber matting on the base and bevelled edges)

I'll try to post some pictures when possible...

JJ

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Good one Jas.

Adzman

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice link but their website prices seem highly inconsistent with what you paid. I've sent for a brochure anyway :).

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Yeah, I noticed that too...they said that most of the stands include stanless steel spikes (which I didnt need) which adds to the price quite a bit, also the stone displayed maybe more expensive than the finish I had I think...maybe the website is more for hifi shops and professional use - hence the pricing

I think the best thing to do is have an idea what you want and how much you roughly want to pay then give them a call to see what they can do...

JJ

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I strongly advise anyone seeking slabs to contact a local stonemason. You'll pay much more reasonable prices than you will with any firm that's cottoned on to calling them a hi-fi accessory. I got mine from a stonemason in Maidenhead - not exactly the cheapest area of the country - a beautifully polished black granite slab made to my spec, for £35.

6. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used a couple of granite slabs, one underneath and one of top of my sub, and it made quite a bit of difference. The bass tightened up and was less "boomy". Well recommend this to anyone.:)

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another tip is to try slate. it's supposed to be denser than both marble and granite according to the stone mason I used. My smooth (honed) finished 16" square slab (about two inches deep) was only £30 through a friend of a friend. Works very well as a platform for my downward firing sub and is extremely heavy.

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Bernard - they are my local stonemason ;)

Cant blame them for trying to market the idea though...hence why I said to call and they will act like a *normal* stonemason for most peoples domestic needs

JJ

9. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    JJ - Thanks. I suppose it depends on your view of the morality of charging £40 for a stone slab or calling it a sub-woofer plinth and charging £150.

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    From what I can tell, the £150 ones are much better quality with much better stone, a more polished finish and integrated stainless steel spikes - whether this is worth an extra £100 depends on your needs i guess...

I dont think it is a moral thing as I am sure the extra cash is due to the extra quality and labour involved...like everything you get what you pay for and what level of aethetics you desire...all IMHO of course

JJ

11. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er, excuse be, but it's still a bit of rock and that is a hell of a price to pay for it. I notice the prices went to £227. I think somebody needs their head read. I use a bit of left-over slate. Cost me nothing and does a nice job, but hey, if anyone wants to buy it from me....