1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer spec's

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stonking, Jan 14, 2005.

1. stonking

stonking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have seen the spec's for a HTS2 as 32-120hz but I have also seen Rels that say 20-120hz. Does this mean that the Rel is much better i.e has greater depth or what. I know we can only hear to about 35hz but you do feel the 20hz stuff.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately there is no standard for measuring subwoofer frequency response. The room plays a big part in the performance of each sub so some manufacturers measure the frequency response in the corner of a room resulting in some good looking figures whilst others measure their own offerings outside which won't look as good even if the sub is actually better.

Again there are sub sub manufacturers that will quote frequency response figures +/- 3db whilst others will use the -6db figure to make their advertising copy look better.

We haven't even started on distortion levels yet which is yet another variable that makes a complete nonsense of most quoted stats as in many cases you would be listening to more distortion than pure signal at the frequency extremes.

3. stonking

stonking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ian, Thanks for the quick response. This is a bit off subject but I have noticed you seem to like the Genelec's but own a 20-39. Do you know anybody who sells both, preferably around London, so that I could compare?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    PJ Hifi in Guildford are Genelec dealers but the SVS subwoofers are only available directly from the manufacturer so won't be auditionable at any dealer.

5. stonking

stonking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Ian. I think I will take a little stroll tomorrow.