1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer setup question...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonnyv, Apr 12, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Just bought a paradigm pdr10 to replace my yamaha sw90 subwoofer, Whats the correct way to set up the sub woofer as part of a home cinema system ?

I have ran the test tones on my amp and used a sound level meter to adjust all speakers to same level, but the subwoofer tone makes the sound level meter needle move up and down and i cant get a level...Should i set the level by looking at the peak db when the needle is moving up and down ?

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    A SPL isn't necessarily that useful setting up a sub, because the Tandy one (I'm assuming that's the one you're using - it seems to be ubiquitous) is not that accurate at low frequencies. It reads up to about 11db too low - I posted a list of adjustments about a week ago. Again, this figure depends on the frequency, and the test tones are probably a mixture of frequencies.

So, what to do?

Well, you can try it by ear with music. The bass should be barely noticeable - but if you turn the sub off then there will be a significant difference. Sounds weird, but it's true.

Hopefully someone with more experience of subs will come along and help you out more - I'm really just learning myself.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for your reply Liam, Could you post the list of adjustments again ?

I Think ive got the levels right now, Its difficult to judge the levels by watching a film... following your advice..i put a cd on and it sounds about right..

cheers

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I originally posted them here.

I've had a lot of MTV, VH1, Q music, etc on as well as CD's over the past week - I've made minor adjustments and I think it's not too bad now. Frequency response graph looks like something from Alton Towers, though :rolleyes:.

Cheers,
    Liam