Subwoofer setup issue with YAMAHA RX-V485

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Drunder40, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Drunder40

Drunder40
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone..

I just got a Yamaha RX-V485 for fathers day. It replaced my RX-V477.

With my V477, I had the sub (Klipsch SW-350) setup where, while watching tv or a movie, the sub would come on at very low volume. When I setup my V477 4 maybe 5 years ago, I remember having this issue and found the setting but with the V485, I can't find the option/setting for this.

I did a firmware update yesterday when I installed the receiver. I changed no settings on the SUB and used YPAO for the initial sound config.

The Sub settings (on the Sub) are:

Volume - 75% and the Bypass is at bypass (Max). Again, never changed these settings.

Can one of you guru's please tell me what setting in the Yamaha config/setup that will make my sub come on at low volume. Right now I have to turn it up to like 50ish where before it would come
    on at much lower volume..

EDIT: Forgot, If it matters, I'm using 2.1 setup with front speakers set at Small (Sub is on), Center is off (No Center).

Thanks in advance..

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    The sub will engage when it detects a signal. The volume has no influence upon this. You would however be less able to perceive the subs output at lower volumes, but the sub is balanced in a manner that it would be portraying audio at the same level as that associated with the main speakers. There's no setting that does what you say you were doing, but there is a setting in the OPTIONS --> Subwoofer/Bass menu entitled EXTRA BASS that would boost the bass irrespective of the master volume level.

You may also want to ensure that you've set your speakers as being SMALL and assigned them a crossover compliant with their abilities that is greater than 80Hz. You'd not othersise get anything via the sub while portraying stereo surces or sources not including a discrete LFE channel.

3. Drunder40

Drunder40
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and appreciate the info.. what you say makes perfect sense. My fronts are set to small and I have the extra bass on. Crossover set to 80hz.. same as my V477 settings.

Maybe my sub is on its way out. I put the sub cable in the second input with the same results. Blue light goes on at 50ish volume and i can feel the sub speaker vibrating. When i then put volume down to 35, I still feel the speaker vibrating but after a few minutes the sub shuts down but front speakers still sound good.

Anyway thanks again for the reply.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    Does your sub have an auto power mode? If so then I'd suggest you bypass this option and set it so it remains on all of the time if the sub allows you to.

5. Drunder40

Drunder40
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it does not. In the Yamaha setup I ended up adjusting the Sub's level down to -1.5. The YPAO set it at -6.0. Now the Sub kicks on when the volume is at 35 so all is good again.