1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer setup for optimal performance

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by john87, Jun 18, 2002.

1. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've searched for this topic already but haven't found a full answer.

My fronts go down to 50Hz so am I right setting the crossover at this level?

In terms of volume, should I have the subwoofers volume "flat" (in the middle) all the time?

If there is anything else I should know about, tell me :)

And by the way - I know about positioning.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Manufacturers are notoriously unreliable in their specifications. Whilst your speakers may go down to 50Hz the output will be well down and the sub should be able to handle that type of frequency better

First of all try setting the sub crossover as high as it will go and use the bass management in the amp to feed the bass to the speakers and sub.

If you feel that the bass between 50Hz and 100Hz is handled better by the main speakers than the sub you can turn the crossover down a bit but I think it highly unlikely.

3. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm going to buy a ps-1000 tomorrow so I've been doing a bit of research on the subject ;)

Basically, Unless your amp can blend the LFE channels of dts/ac3 with your main speakers at the same time as using the sub output, by setting the subs build in crossover below 120 hz (AC3) you are potentially filtering out some of the LFE effects channel (thats 80hz for DTS. And anything THX mastered.)
    Since most amps cannot do this, the clear choice is either to rely on your speakers to handle the full range of their channels, OR to set them all to 'small' on your amp, and so have their bass frequencies (sub 90hz ish usually) redirected to the sub.
    Either way, when you are using an av amp which low-passes the LFE output, you are best just setting your subs crossover frequency to the maximum.

Obviously since i don't yet own a sub I am working this by the numbers, but I think what i wrote makes sense ;)

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Hi

Try all speakers set to small, all bass to sub, set the crossover on the sub to maximum as the amp will control the cutoff (normally around 80/90hz depending on amp). Start with the volume on the sub set to halfway and then fine tune via the amps SW channel level.

Or, Fronts set to Large, bass to LFE/MAIN or BOTH, set the crossover on the sub to around 5-10hz higher than the lowest frequency the fronts go down to e.g 55-60hz. Again leave the volume at halfway and fine tune via the amp.

You may have to play around with the Phase setting as well, if the sub has one.

Cheers

5. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the tips.

I've been using these as well as others and the sub sounds ten times better then when I first got it! :D