1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer settings??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cozzer, Apr 11, 2001.

1. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help!! Have just purchased KEF system (Q55.2 fronts, Q15.2 rears and Q95C centre) to go with my KEF Model 20B subwoofer. Can anyone help me with how to set up the subwoofer (phase, crossover and level) to get the best out of it within this system? The instructions with all the speakers have been useless!! I also have the Sony STR-DB930 receiver so any settings for this (LFE level, crossover, etc) would be helpful. Thanks!!

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
  3. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cozzer

Isn't it annoying!!

I recently purchased the 30B to go with my KEF setup (the same fronts and centre as your's), and was amazed at the crapness of the instructions - nothing about what any of the controls on the sub do (and there's quite a few!!) and no advice on set-up or integration with the other speakers.

I even emailed KEF for some answers and got no where.

Sorry to gripe but I'd thought you'd like to know that you're not alone. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and if I find out anything, I'll let you know.

Sam.

4. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sam,

cheers for the posting. have you checked out the sites listed above in the previous reply to my query? i've looked at a few - one says to set the speakers to small on the receiver and set the crossover as high as it can go - this basically will send ALL bass to the sub. but doesn't that defeat the object of having bloody great big floorstanders??? if you do hear anything from kef, let me know.

incidently, how have you set up your 30B? i've just set both my level and crossover at 12 o'clock. sounds okay to me but probably not getting the best out of it...... :confused:

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Just b'cos you have great big floor standing speakers it does not mean that they can handle the bass provided well.

If you set ALL speakers as small then the sub will produce the bass designed for the .1 part of the soundtrack AND then some of the bass ( im not techical enough to give you the figures ) designed for the other 5 channels.

If you set the speakers to large then the sub will only produce bass for the .1 part of the soundtrack.

Its best to spend a weeks viewing ( listening ) with them all set as small then work you way around to altering the speaker settings.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Set the speakers to large and the amp will pump 20Hz to 20KHz to them expecting them to be able to cope with those frequencies.
    Hardly any speakers can. Typical floorstanders roll off at anything from 35Hz to 55Hz, meaning the sound from their roll-off point down to 20Hz is lost.
    Set the speaker to small and frequencies lower than 80Hz (the typical value used) are sent to the sub.
    This means
    a) you don't lose any sound
    b) your speakers can 'concentrate' on producing the sound above 80Hz rather than stressing out trying to do all frequencies.
    This is why it's best in 95% ish circumstances to start with all the speakers set to small as a good place to start.
    Most people will finish with this setup :).
    All this assumes you have a decent subwoofer. Minimum spec I'd recommend is a REL Q50. Personally I advise people on a budget to get a good sub since it will often 'make up' for deficiencies in cheap speakers.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    cheers, now all I need to do is remember those figures.

Setting all at small is definatly the best place to start, but as Martin Stokes has sugested it may not be the correct place to finish. Get hold of a copy of the Monsters INC. trailer on the Toy Story Two DVD, when the front sound stage is set to large, the whole thing sounds much more real.

Its a question of personal pref and there is NO correct answer. Its going to take you weeks b4 you decide