Subwoofer set up??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jahmet, Mar 12, 2001.

1. jahmet

jahmet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have recently purchased a Hitachi 32wf810 and to maximise the digital sound I invested in a KEF PSW1000 active subwoofer which I have connected directly to the TV.

Even with the sub set to maximum I am disappointed at the amount of bass being produced. I was expecting to feel the base rumbling when playing DVDs...but unfortunately this is not happening, just the normal amount of bass you would expect a speaker to deliver.

1) Am I expecting too much from a sub to deliver this amount of BOOM

2) Is the TV the problem whereby not enough power is being allocated to the sub.

3) Would investing in a receiver produce more bass

4) Is the sub underpowered at 100w power

Any pointing in the right direction will be appreciated as I can return the sub and get me money back.

Thanks

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,522
    It's likely that you have connected up the sub via a connection it is not designed to take. For example, maybe you connected the low level input to the TV's speaker output?
    You should definately be able to shake the house when the sub is working properly.
    But saying exactly what is wrong is difficult because you have not detailed the method of connection or the subwoofer settings. E.g. maybe your TV's internal decoder is configured not to send any bass to the sub?
    Getting an external amp and separate speakers would sound ten trillion times better than using those built into a TV.
    And a 100 Watt sub (a good one, mind) should be well hard enough!
    I'm fairly sure it's the way the telly is configured or the sub is connected.