Subwoofer seems a bit directional

Bronzer

Standard Member
This might not the right term but I can't help notice that my subwoofer bass is coming from the left side of my room when watching films. I'm quiet limited in where I can move it, and I've already run some cables. So I didn't know if anyone had some tips on anything that I should try before I start moving everything around.

It's a forward firing sub directed as shown by the arrow.

Room1.PNG

password1

Distinguished Member
Try facing the sub another direction. The higher the crossover the more directional it tends to sound in my experience. what crossover is it passed at on the avr..

Bottom left corner an option?

If you can temporarily move the sub and if there no or less 'directionality' then the issue is most likely room acoustics and sub placement.

is there a large enough space behind the sofa without moving the sofa too much forward..

Bronzer

Standard Member
It's at 80hz. But looking at Audessey curves I can probably try 60hz on the fronts. But they don't go much lower unfortunately.
Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 20.19.39.png

I did try rotating it without much luck. But I'll give the back corner a try along with moving the sofa. Might need some longer cables!

password1

Distinguished Member
You could also try placing the sub downwards with some objectsto act as feet and see if it makes any difference. It will mean the solution could be a DF sub but testing it out won't cost you anything.

diverdog

At 80 hz blind testing shows it's almost impossible to identify where the sub is located unless there are other clues like port chuffing or box / room resonances. Is the problem evident at lower SPL's that wouldn't cause those issues?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom