Subwoofer replacement Capacitors, which ones?

kilohawk

Standard Member
Hi guys, i'm hoping you can help me on this one.

• I'm looking for a pair of good 63V 1200uf capacitors for a KEF PSW2010

I know there are plenty of threads around the web on this one, but the truth is I don't have a clue how to compare capacitor specs and i'm sure there are people on this forum who know the Capacitor catalogue better than something they know really well :p

So here it is, I bought a KEF PSW2010 without the correct research and now it's broken, I opened it up and it is obvious that it has been repaired previously as there is glue all over the board (and the temps spec is higher than the standard ones, i'll come back to this), but this is good as it has clearly shown one of the caps have lifted from the board indicating failure (no?).
I've read that a high ripple current is good, and that impedance should be low, but there are so many choices I don't know where to start. My ARCAM uses Rubycon so I thought that would be a good place to start :confused:

Back to the temp rating, People have been adamant that the capacitors are overheating, but this cant be the case as these caps are 105C as opposed to th 85C originals, so this makes me think the Voltage spec is the one which is too low, can it be dangerous to put a higher voltage capacitor in? or even a higher capacitance?

It's a long first post, I know, I also hope it's in the correct place, but thanks for reading and hopefully you know the answer!! :thumbsup:

kram

No danger of a higher rated voltage, or capacitance if the caps you are referring to are in the power supply.

Frank1471

Hi.
What's the fault that you are experiencing?

I repair a lot of these and always test the smoothing capacitors but rarely replace them.
If I do, I use these from CPC.
They run at 52v so no point in going any higher than 63v types. They won't last any longer.

The glue is applied at the factory and quite often, it looks like the capacitors have lifted when in fact, its just the glue that has shrunk.

It is vital that Kef PSW's have some basic modifications. Kef started to do this at the factory later in the production run and to any that they repaired. Kef dealers were also supplied with mod-kits with which they invariably did a poor job.

There is a whole thread devoted to these here at AVF.

Frank

Last edited:

kilohawk

Standard Member
Hi.
What's the fault that you are experiencing?

I repair a lot of these and always test the smoothing capacitors but rarely replace them.
If I do, I use these from CPC.
They run at 52v so no point in going any higher than 63v types. They won't last any longer.

The glue is applied at the factory and quite often, it looks like the capacitors have lifted when in fact, its just the glue that has shrunk.

It is vital that Kef PSW's have some basic modifications. Kef started to do this at the factory later in the production run and to any that they repaired. Kef dealers were also supplied with mod-kits with which they invariably did a poor job.

There is a whole thread devoted to these here at AVF.

Frank

Hi frank,
Thanks for the info! The issue the sub has is a 50hz pulse which rolls on and off in 1-2 second intervals weather there is a source or not and irrespective of the earth switch position. The sound come out fine when playing music or a movie.

I've read a fair chunk of that thread, lots of information but I don't have time to read it all :p

I have abused it at twice at birthday gatherings too if that would damage any components :devil:

Frank1471

Hi frank,
Thanks for the info! The issue the sub has is a 50hz pulse which rolls on and off in 1-2 second intervals weather there is a source or not and irrespective of the earth switch position. The sound come out fine when playing music or a movie.
Your description is not ringing any bells I'm afraid.
Is the 50Hz coming from the loudspeaker itself in the cabinet base?

Frank

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom