Subwoofer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by andyp, Jan 18, 2001.

1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Sony DB940 amplifier with some borrowed surround speakers at
    present, but no subwoofer. I am planning to purchase B&W speakers in the
    near future as follows:- 602 S2 fronts, CC6 S2 centre and 601 S2 rears. The
    room is 16' x 10'. I have read that the B&W subwoofers aren't brilliant,
    and that a REL sub is the only one to have! What REL model would best suit
    my system? I am concerned that they may be a bit over the top in terms of
    spec and size with my present room size and system, and they are just too
    expensive! What are the alternatives? Ideally I would like to limit my sub
    purchase to £300 - £350. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy P.

2. bananas

bananas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Andy..
    I just thought I would give you my experiences with subs over the years..
    Ive got an awkard slighty 'L' shaped roomm thats about the same dimensions as yours, and bought a Rel Q100 to replace an old Boston sub.

I hated it.

No matter how carefully I placed it, or how I calibrated it, it didnt have any punch or deep impact on any of the movies I watched.

I then borrowed the Strata II, which really wasnt much better (bear in mind the Strata is, what, £700?)

I then raided the piggy bank (so to speak) and splashed out on the Sunfire True Signature (which was a sobering £1700)
    This thing is absolutly incredible. Its slightly smaller than the Q100, but I cant get the level off 2(out of 10) as its just so powerful, (and i mean windows rattling, things falling off shelves in other rooms etc..unbelievable).

My point is, Ill never have to buy another sub, because this one is small, indestructable, and immensly capable.

Try to borrow a few subs to try them, as I guarantee your room will react differently to the sub than the demo room will.

And if you can, try to spend a bit more on a good quality sub, as its going to be doing a lot of hard work in your reasonably large room.

Hope this helps

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,314
    Andy,
    Bananas is right when he says that if you get a quality sub it will last a lifetime.So save those pennies.

Bananas,
    Sorry to hear the rels were not to your liking.I have owned two Rel Storms for a number of years now and have to say they are the BEES Knees when it comes to movies and especially music.Saying that it does take a longtime to get them set up to there best.In fact it took nearly 6 months of slight adjustments and running in to get the best out of them.I Guess it also comes down to how subtle you want to be with your Bass. I tend to set the bass so it compliments the sound without being to overpowering.But different people want different things and a mate of mine has the bass so prominant that i usually have a head ache because it is moving so much air around the room.

So finally Andy,
    Get some home demos with well run in subs, and take some time to set it according to your taste.The main thing is your system will sound so much better with a sub, because it takes the strain away from the amp and main speakers trying to produce the bass, so the whole system benefits.And if you want to blow the windows out then have fun...........

4. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences, auditioning at home does sound the best thing to do. Now just need to save the pennies!

Thanks.

Andy P.