Subwoofer Recommendation's

d88

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, after my first post regards to rear/surround speaker's and going through a few Hi-fi forum's I've decided that I should at least give a subwoofer a try out before judging if it's suitable for my circumstance's.

My current set up 5.0.2

Sony str-dn1080 (which I hope to upgrade next year),
Dali Oberon 5's, floor standers,
Dali Oberon Vokal for centre
Dali Alteco C-1 as up/down-firing speaker
Audio Monitor Radius 45's as surround's (primarily for it's size)

The room it would be situated in is a relatively small to medium size one, so we're not talking something too big.

So the question is, what sub would be suitable and of course, what would you recommend just to at least point me in the right direction ? I'd probably be upgrading my AV unit probably to a Denon AVC-X3700 or similar, so something that will play nice with that set up as well when the time comes.

Appreciate any feedback.

Regards

Last edited:
What is the max budget for it?
Any finish (colour) preferences?
You live in apartment with neighbours or house where you can crank up more freely?

What is the max budget for it?
Any finish (colour) preferences?
You live in apartment with neighbours or house where you can crank up more freely?

Hi,
budget 1k max
black or walnut preferable but not set in stone
I have neighbours next to me,semi detached, so I need to be a little bit considerate in terms of cranking it up a bit.

Thanks

If we forget the cheaper models then Arendal 1961 1S around 724£ shipped (free shipping & 60day buy&try - return costs) would be something i would strongly consider for small-med sized room. Compact sized sealed sub with 12" driver and 550w amp. Cabinet made from HDF, 5year amp warranty and what we have seen the customer service/support is great! If we look nearest competitor SVS SB2000 Pro it costs 899£ - 999£ (oak/gloss black) so bang for buck is strong on this one! When you open the link wait until the site has loaded fully:

I managed to find one SB2000 Pro black oak open box for 765£ with phone app control. AVO is forum sponsor if not familiar with the company. Product is new, outside packaging is damaged only. Normal 5year warranty applies.

Clearly there is larger options if you want greater impact for blockbuster movies. Then you could consider the Arendal 1961 1V which you will see when you open the link i posted, both models are behind that link. Same driver and amp in larger vented cabinet. For SVS the larger ported models would be these, both open boxes for cheaper:

Thanks, I appreciate the detailed response.

The Ardenal's certainly look promising and if I was a bit more of a 'definitely getting /keeping the subwoofer' frame of mind I'd probably order one. However by coincidence, there is a dealer not far from me that sell's SVS sub's, so we are just in the process of arranging a demo. We'll see how that goes first.

Thanks again for your help.

A few days into using my SVS PC2000's and not surprisingly it's added another depth of layer to the sound profile, so, very pleased so far. Definitely a worthwhile addition and another convert.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom