1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer recommendations required.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ashley duggan, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ashley duggan

ashley duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which subs would you recommend up to a price of about £1,000 and would be an upgrade from a Kef Tdm 45b active sub,my system consists of Kef's reference series Tdm and Denon's Avc-A1se.I listen to music but my priority is home cinema.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If size isn't an issue I would recommend the SVS 20-39 PC Plus that I have at about £650 or else the PC Ultra which is similar to mine but with an uprated driver and comes in at a tad under £1,000. Either are difficult to beat in their price range and either would be a significant upgrade on your Kef sub

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Also look at some of the Velodyne and B&W models which are highly regarded. :)

4. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Add a 2nd hand Servo-15 (or 2) to that list. Increasingly rare, but they do turn up from time-to-time. :)

5. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Would endorse above recommendations, but would add SVS box to Ian's cylinder recommendations. I used mine (PB12+/2, which will set you back around the £950 mark) in combination with Kef and Denon products and it is outstanding. It is however, both very big and extraordinarily heavy (about 145 pounds), and so you have to want something that big around to even be tempted by it!

6. ashley duggan

ashley duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,and thanks for advice.After reading all posts on this forum and a couple of other forums the feeling is that SVS are one of the best for subs for my kind of price range,so i just have a couple of questions to ask.Am i right in saying that apart from the B12-plus 4 the best sub to have is the box sub PB12 Ultra/2,do they do this as a cylinder as well or is the best cylinder just the PC-Ultra.Also,are there risks in buying such a huge and pricey item on the net from America.I have had some contact with SVS and if i go ahead i will buy door to door.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've been through a reasonable number of subs over the last few yrs,and have tried models from REL,B&W,M&K(although not Velodyne),before settling on an SVS PC-Ultra after many recommendations from here.

In terms of risks in buying,the customer service is superb,and extremely fast in turning round emails,and delivering the product,and in truth the only risk you have is buying something you havent tried in your own home.
    Definitely go for the door-to-door option if you do buy,as this cuts out any unpleasantness with customs etc.

Otherwise,as others have said above,do try B&W and Velodyne,plus any others you can get to test,but I can only add my own recommendation to those above...it works very well on music and AV,and my major requirement was to have a sub that could keep up with a set of Quad ESLs for music.....it does.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are risks involved with buying any subwoofer but the aftercare offered by SVS is legendary and they have always bent over backwards to sort out any problems. They must have sold a couple of hundred subs now to AV Forums members and a couple have been DOA. In both instances SVS arranged a swap very quickly.

Excluding the rather exclusive B12-Plus/4 the top of their normal line is the PB12-Ultra/2 which many people would consider to be reference quality but without the normal high end pricetag.

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Ashley how big is your room.Having owned the pb12-ultra-2 i have some knowledge of it, if your room isnt massive the pc-ultra will be all you need in my room 16'x14' the pc-ultra sounds much the same as the larger pb-ultra-2 (i had to change the ultra-2 has i couldnt put it in the room where it performed to its best the pc-ultra suited much better) so if your rooms not massive and you dont listen at insane levels the pc-ultra would be ideal or if the tube doesnt suit the pb-ultra(single driver) in wood finish but be warned they are massive. :)

10. AV Wizard

AV Wizard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ashley check out the new M&K VX860 I think it's about a grand but nothing comes close!!

11. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    :) the eternal fight between ported & sealed designs - quite funny actually! :rolleyes:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    :rolleyes: