1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer recommendations please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by siy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys - right time to upgrade the sub (cos the missus doesnt like the black yamaha!!!)

I have a crap amp! (sony DB930) Mission 774 fronts and Mission 77C1 centre, with a pair of Anthony Gallo Micro rears

Need to get a sub that:

1) isn't too big
    2) is light oak/beech wood
    3) fires downwards - as my lovely wife 'doesnt like the look of the speaker'

the room is about 25'x25' but I am not seriously intto my sounds - I would love to be but I am never allowed to listen to stuff at a decent level of volume!

basically the yamaha SB80 that I have is more than adequate, so even if I got something that wasnt really big enough for the room, I am sure it will be an improvement.

Am looking to spend around £350 ish.

So far I seem to be between the BK XLS200-DF or a Canton ASD-220 (or 250) SC

Any preferences??? or others to add to the list?

Thanks all
    Siy

2. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Siy

Canton has 3 down firers

ASD220SC - SRP £300 - £222 on AVforums powerbuy
    ASD250SC - SRP £350 - £269 on AVforums powerbuy
    Karat AS200SC - SRP £600 - £400 on AVforums powerbuy

They are all very good. But my favourite on this list is definately the AS200 as it comes with its own plinth that it stands on. this isolates it from the floor and gives a really clean, tight and controlled sound.

All the subs are available in beech

If you have any questions about the canton range, feel free to pm me

regards

JJ

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    What makes you say its crap, power wise it kills the amp i have now and probabbly many others on offer these days, just the older dsp that lets it down.

4. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not that I think it's crap, it's perfect for my need- I just thought that it was very mediocre and in comparison to the equipment that most people have got on this forum, I thought it would be the lowest of the low. Plus its 5/6 years old!

Any other opinions on sub? Just cant decide!

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    BKXLS200 would be perfect for your needs. Yes it's a big space to fill but it packs a powerful punch, and it's very "wife friendly" in terms of aesthetics. certainly an upgrade from the Yamaha!...PJ :)

6. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BK are on holiday intill Monday - I think I am leaning toward sthat rather than the Canton. Its so hard doing this without actually demo'ing them. Any other words of wisdom over which one is best?