Question Subwoofer Recommendation

Grondath

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
We moved into a new property a month ago and have just gotten round to setting up the system in the living room after finishing off the many DIY jobs that needed doing first!

Most things seem to have survived but the subwoofer (Wharfedale SW150) seems to have bitten the bullet and is not producing any sound (the light is on on the back but no sound!)

Since we are now in a detached property, this seems like the ideal opportunity to experience some proper bass!

The living room is 5.6m x 3.6m and the sub would be used 99% of the time for movies, so I'm looking for ideas on what might go best here!

Have been looking at an SVS PB 2000 but the mrs doesn't like the black ash look much (neither do I to be fair, the gloss is much nicer!), but looks are not everything of course :D

Looking for some recommendations on what might work well in this size of room, budget somewhere around the £1,000 mark?

Thanks in advance!

I would be looking at subwoofers from:

BK
SVS
XTZ
Arendal

These are the current favourite marques and all do subs in the £400-1000 range in different finishes.

You will get a sub with a 12" driver and 400w minimum amplifier, sealed will be the best option if you want a smaller sized subwoofer. Vented go a bit lower but the cabinet size is larger.

Also worth noting whilst we all have our favourites all of those manufacturers don't make a bad sub they also are all willing and able to give unbiased recommendation of which sub suits your room best.

All you need is give them room dimensions, details of what sort of room it is regarding type of furniture/ carpet or wood floors and what you are looking for mainly music or movies and how much bass you want. Do you want to blow the doors off or just good quality bass you can feel as well as hear.

They will then suggest which sub best suits you and your budget, so just fire of an e-mail or with BK (UK based)call them up and ask for Tom.

If you are happy with something second hand, i'd also consider looking at PSA especially as the UK Distributor @Rickyj at Kalibrate has just taken some Sub's in for p/x against the new ones that have just arrived in UK

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom