Subwoofer recommendation for stereo system

Profanum

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

My system currently consists of Dynaudio Special 40's driven by Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 in a 350 square feet room. Currently looking for a subwoofer to enhance the lower end and take advantage of awesome RoomPerfect subwoofer calibration offered by Lyngdorf.

My budget is up to $1000, the models I am currently looking at are SVS 3000 Micro and REL T5X.

The subwoofer selector tool on REL website doesn't have Special 40's as an option, but recommends T9X for Dynaudio Emit 20's, which are way out of my budget range. The answer I got from REL rep sounds kind of harsh and unprofessional.

"If the tool on the site recommends the T/9x I would go with that. That was created by hand by our REL agents all over the world... it's not an algorithm and those recommendations are the minimum. Purchasing a T/5x would not do your system justice nor would it really add to your system so please save your money. We want you to have a positive REL experience."

Any thoughts or other recommendations ?

I think REL are spot on with their answer and I don't see what is unprofessional about telling the truth. Your room is way too big for a T5x.
You need something bigger or duals.

Personally I prefer REL over SVS for music, I owned the SVS SB2000, SVS SB13 Ultra and REL T9X.
Better integration with REL, but both brands make good subs.
It's what you prefer soundwise.

In your price bracket Arendal could be a good option or Rythmik.
If you're still living in the USA, Rythmik would be my preferred option.
I owned the Rythmik F12 and E15, very good subs that deliver above their price bracket.

I have to agree with REL. The T5X is too small for your room unless you just want to underpin the bass, as I do with a ten year old T5 for 5.1 music via SACD. On calculations my room also needs a T9.

Hello there!

My system currently consists of Dynaudio Special 40's driven by Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 in a 350 square feet room. Currently looking for a subwoofer to enhance the lower end and take advantage of awesome RoomPerfect subwoofer calibration offered by Lyngdorf.

My budget is up to $1000, the models I am currently looking at are SVS 3000 Micro and REL T5X.

The subwoofer selector tool on REL website doesn't have Special 40's as an option, but recommends T9X for Dynaudio Emit 20's, which are way out of my budget range. The answer I got from REL rep sounds kind of harsh and unprofessional.

"If the tool on the site recommends the T/9x I would go with that. That was created by hand by our REL agents all over the world... it's not an algorithm and those recommendations are the minimum. Purchasing a T/5x would not do your system justice nor would it really add to your system so please save your money. We want you to have a positive REL experience."

Any thoughts or other recommendations ?

Rythmik L/F serie as you live in US and look for "musical" woofer!

The SVS SB-3000 is worth checking out, albeit a bit out of your price range - maybe a sale? It's the best sealed SVS subwoofer IMHO, quite an upgrade from the SB-2000 and pretty much on par with the SB-4000 for the most part.

It is a rather musical subwoofer with a very tight bass response that works well both in the context of music and movies.

I’ve just used the REL tool and it recommends a t9x, however I would have to reconfigure the whole room to accommodate one, not sure my wife or budget have that kind of patience….
I’ll stick with the great advice given by Tom at BK and look to acquire the XLS200DF for my budget and needs.

I’ve just used the REL tool and it recommends a t9x, however I would have to reconfigure the whole room to accommodate one, not sure my wife or budget have that kind of patience….
I’ll stick with the great advice given by Tom at BK and look to acquire the XLS200DF for my budget and needs.

Have you consired SVS SB1000 Pro which would be somewhere in the middle price wise? Would offer better performance and longer warranty, phone app etc. with similar size to XLS200. Price is 639£, but forum advertisers may give you discount. The gloss finishes cost extra.

• Dimensions (w/ grille): 13.5” (342mm) H X 13” (330mm) W X 14.76” (375mm) D
  • Dimensions (without grille): 13.5” (342mm) H X 13” (330mm) W X 13.9” (352mm) D

I've ordered a SVS SB3000 Micro for a second system to pair with my KEF LSX.

I needed a small subwoofer and it will be used 50/50 between movies and music with a bit of gaming. Looking forward to setting up over the weekend.

Have you consired SVS SB1000 Pro which would be somewhere in the middle price wise? Would offer better performance and longer warranty, phone app etc. with similar size to XLS200. Price is 639£, but forum advertisers may give you discount. The gloss finishes cost extra.

• Dimensions (w/ grille): 13.5” (342mm) H X 13” (330mm) W X 14.76” (375mm) D
  • Dimensions (without grille): 13.5” (342mm) H X 13” (330mm) W X 13.9” (352mm) D
I have looked at that one however it’s a bit out of my budget, and probably far too sophisticated for my basic needs…..

Now looking at the BK P12-300SB-DF which ticks a lot of boxes….

I have looked at that one however it’s a bit out of my budget, and probably far too sophisticated for my basic needs…..

Now looking at the BK P12-300SB-DF which ticks a lot of boxes….

Nothing touching P12 at 400£ mark.

If you can bump up budget to 450£ there is "older" SB1000 available which people have felt being step up from BK XXLS400 (P12 then too) with movies. It´s also slightly smaller, but not available in such nice finishes. The plusses would be also longer 5year amp warranty and no humming/buzzing amps which are likely related to BKs class a/b amp design somehow as we see these mentioned often. BK do have great service/support so if this happens they will help to resolve it. SVS is more on the modern side, but of course the company is many times larger selling world wide and one of the most known brands for subwoofers.

Which ever you choose you can´t really go wrong considering what you pay. Bang for buck is very strong on both and i would definitely make the jump over XLS200 if you are heavy on blockbuster flicks/series. You are in full control how loud the sub plays!

I tried to go bigger and better but Tom from BK Electronics insisted that the XLS200 would suit my systems needs better….. who am I to argue?

Sometimes you have to let the big ones get away so as not to ruin your nets!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom