Subwoofer purchase?

ashley f

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m after a new subwoofer as my CA minx x301 is damaged,
Been looking at REL T5x at 125rms or shall I just buy a new x301 at 300rms?
Been told the REL will blow the X301 away, but not heard one as of yet.
Only being used for tv/movies etc
Avr is a pioneer vsx-933
Cheers for any advice budget approx £400-£500

At that price point I would be looking at BK’s subwoofer offerings, not REL. You’ll get a far bigger bang for your buck!

Or an SVS PB-1000 at £449 which is fantastic ported sub for movies - you’ll find glowing reviews of it everywhere. Only this price as it’s been discontinued and replaced by new Pro version - more powerful amp, larger 12” driver and Bluetooth App control.

If you could push your budget to £580 then you could get the PB-1000 Pro version of this (with a 10% discount).

I’ll check out the enclosure size as a bit limited to how big a box I can get away with

I’ll check out the enclosure size as a bit limited to how big a box I can get away with
Yes, if you have a size constraint then post it up as your options may be quire limited by it.

Sorry should have put that, similar size to the REL T5i so about 300-320mm square

That's a shame as it's a tiny space for a sub and is going limit your options to models with relatively little output and low frequency extension. I don't know that segment of the market very well I'm afraid.

Sorry should have put that, similar size to the REL T5i so about 300-320mm square

SVS SB1000 Pro at roughly 33-34cm square. It will blow the T5i away easily with movies! You do get the same -10% discount for AVF members when you ask it. Example forum advertiser below:

That’s sounds like it’s worth looking in to, size is fine, only slightly bigger than my older one, I do have the space for a bigger one but the wife has put a stop to that!
mid ghe discount only from them?

That’s sounds like it’s worth looking in to, size is fine, only slightly bigger than my older one, I do have the space for a bigger one but the wife has put a stop to that!
mid ghe discount only from them?

I`m not sure which other dealers give you same discount. Doesn´t really matter where you order it as all have to comply the SVS 5year warranty. Of course here at AVF we recommend that you support small companies over the likes of Richer Sounds etc. For Cinehome call them and ask to speak with Tom, say you are AVF member and ask about the discount. They should have stock and free shipping.

No the T5x isn´t option at least for movie system for the high asking price. You get 12" driver over 8" one and amp with over twice the power. Higher output in whole working range with lower distortion, better extension down to 20hz, phone app control settings for movies/music etc., longer warranty to name few benefits. You would hear the difference easily no doubt about it. The gloss finish will cost extra though if that matters!

I`m not sure which other dealers give you same discount. Doesn´t really matter where you order it as all have to comply the SVS 5year warranty. Of course here at AVF we recommend that you support small companies over the likes of Richer Sounds etc. For Cinehome call them and ask to speak with Tom, say you are AVF member and ask about the discount. They should have stock and free shipping.

No the T5x isn´t option at least for movie system for the high asking price. You get 12" driver over 8" one and amp with over twice the power. Higher output in whole working range with lower distortion, better extension down to 20hz, phone app control settings for movies/music etc., longer warranty to name few benefits. You would hear the difference easily no doubt about it. The gloss finish will cost extra though if that matters!
Sorry to jump on this, what do you think about the SVS Micro 3000 vs the Rel T5/x? It looks like the SVS has the app control and 2 8" drivers vs the Rel's 1...

Sorry to jump on this, what do you think about the SVS Micro 3000 vs the Rel T5/x? It looks like the SVS has the app control and 2 8" drivers vs the Rel's 1...
I haven't heard either of them so cannot comment on their respective SQ but the SVS has two 8" drivers with 800W behind them and the REL has a single 8" driver with 125W behind it. In the SPL/extension stakes, that's never going to be a fair fight!

As already suggested I'd be looking at BK/SVS/ virtually anyone who isn't Rel if bang for buck is a consideration.
And given that the BK's are a logo-free blank canvas, you can always add 20 tacky home-made Rel badges to it for extra bling and the neighbours won't be able to tell the difference.
Other than that it sounds better ;)

Ended up replacing the Rel for the SVS Micro 3000 and it sounds great, has more features and at normal listening volume, sounds the same. You don't 'feel' the bass like you did with the REL (most likely cos one is down firing vs side firing), but the additional features more than make up for it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom