Subwoofer problem

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nearmiss24, Jan 20, 2008.

1. nearmiss24

nearmiss24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My outlaw LFM2 sub makes a loud pop or boom when the power is turned on or off on the reciever, when you manualy change tracks on a cd, when you change chapters manually on dvd's or change menues or when the previews change, and when certain light switches are turned on or off. What could cause this???

The system, Denon AVR 5700 connected via line level output, a Y cable splits the signal to each sub. I am using a Monster power bar to connect everything.

I have tried: just one sub with Y, both subs, Shack audio isolator (this just added a hum to the system). Nothing seems to work, and then I used the high level (speaker cable to sub then out to speakers) and this eliminated the pop. However it seemed that the subs did not put out as much sound as when hooked up to the LL on the reciever? And I don't like the dubble run of speaker cable.

So, is it the recievers LL out??? Or is it some type of ground loop or earth loop in the houses electrical wiring? And if it is what can be done.

I am thinking of trying the Jensen Sub 1RR, any thoughts??

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It sounds like a grounding issue in the receiver/system. Have you got everything running from the same wall-socket? It seems odd that your wall sockets would be on the same ring as the lighting. Might you be overloading your entire house somehow? :)

3. nearmiss24

nearmiss24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you that it is a gournding issue. But what is going on. Everything is connected to one outlet but it makes no difference as I have tried pluging in each sub to a different power bar.

I know that it is odd and so far have had no ideas on how to corrrect the problem.

Not only does the light switch affect the sub but it changes, some times the switch to turn on the gass fireplace causes the sub to make a pop as well.

I am really at my wits ends as I don't know what to do and am worried that the loud pop will some how damage the sub. I have not tested the sound with a shack SPL yet though. But I really want to solve this problem.