1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer problem with DVDs

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Jim_R, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To date, I have been using my AVR300 in stereo mode to listen to DVD movies, CDs and over-the-air television. With this set-up, both front speakers and the subwoofer work great. This weekend, I brought home a center speaker and a pair of surround speakers for audition. Cable/over-the-air television broadcasts in Dolby 5.1 are terrific, with all speakers working perfectly. When I listen to DVDs, CDs and SACDs in stereo mode, the front speakers and subwoofer work just fine. However, when I try to watch a DVD or listen to an SACD, there is no sound coming out of the subwoofer. BTW, my DVD/SACD/CD player is a Sony DVP NS-900V. Any thoughts on what is wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Which subwoofer have you got? How is it connected to the AVR300? What other speakers are you using?

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try the settings of the Sony, guess you have all six cables running to the Arcam?
    Used to have a Sony, same problem, it appeared I had to push the front button for multisound AND set the settings for sub present.
    Also try setting in the AVR300 the separate DVD-AUDIO sub level setting to +10dB.
    If nothing works just connect the DVD cable direct to the sub in parallel to the the AVR's sub output.
    Barend

4. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Subwoofer: Velodyne F-1500B (connected via the sub pre-out on the AVR300), Quad ESL57 electrostatic speakers, Magnepan center and surround speakers.

Barend, I do have all analog cables connected between the DVD player and AVR300. Also, I do not see a mulitisound button anywhere on the DVD player. There is an FL Off button on the front panel. Do you know what that is?

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, that's Fluorescent off (= display lighting).
    There MUST be a setting in the Sony's setup you oversaw!
    For instance it could be you've set all speakers to LARGE, often there's no sub output then.
    Pull out the sub cable from the Sony and touch the pin with your finger- there should be a buzz if the AVR is correctly set to DVD-AUDIO IN.
    If not the AVR's the bad guy...
    Good Luck
    Barend

6. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it fixed! I just needed to make some adjustments to the DVD player's set-up menu. I continue to be impressed with the AVR300!

7. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Glad it works. Enjoy the AVR's 5ch sound, it's gorgeous.
    Don't forget to use the +10dB sub level in the AVR DVD-A setup.
    Hint: don't use the FL/FR inputs for stereo but run a separate cable to CD input or some other input and switch the AVR to DIRECT.
    Sounds better and you can adjust the input sensitivity in the AVR setup.
    And try the coax/optical output of the Sony's, maybe the DA converter in the Arcam is better than the one inside the Sony...

Barend

8. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Barend! Is there a way to use your subwoofer in direct mode?

9. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Of course you can always connect the sub high level to the speaker's terminals, most subs can be used through the RCA input and high-level, my REL's Q150E even has two separate mosfet preamps with individual volume controls.
    Do check whether the sub is active in AVR300 DIRECT mode, not sure, I think there's a setting under SUBWOOFER where you can set the relative sub level just for stereo?
    Barend

10. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Subwoofer is active with stereo DSP mode, but not with Stereo Direct. The manual even states this as a warning for those using small speakers not capable of handling low frequencies.

Dean

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dean, you're correct-
    But the high level connection to the speaker posts remains valid if you want a bit of extra grunt deep down below...it won't affect the disabling of most things digital inside the AVR.
    I can't do that because the REL's are in the back corner, not ideal but my wife doesn't want "those ugly black boxes" in view...and I can't blame her...
    Barend